Optimal Gating System Design of Steel Casting by Fruit Fly Optimization Algorithm Based on Casting Simulation Technology
- 121 Downloads
Casting simulation technology is an effective method to provide the predicted information on defects such as shrinkage, gas entrapment, cold shut, misrun and inclusions. To extend the analysis of casting simulation technology, a new optimal method for gating system design by fruit fly optimization algorithm (FOA) is proposed in this paper. First, according to the filling principles of steel casting, the gating system geometry mathematical model, which includes objective function and constraint conditions, is established. Second, in order to obtain optimal solution, fruit fly optimization algorithm is introduced to solve the above model. Finally, numerical simulation software is used to verify the validity of the proposed optimal method. Taking an upper center plate casting as an example, the results indicate that the proposed optimal method could provide practical and useful suggestions for the designer to obtain higher-quality and lower-resource-cost designs in the gating system design process.
Keywordsgating system design steel casting fruit fly optimization algorithm casting simulation technology
This research was financially supported by project supported by the National Nature Science Fund Projects, China (No. 51605174), and State Key Laboratory of Materials Processing and Die & Mould Technology Research Project (2015-2017).
- 1.X.Y. Lin, Casting Manual-Volume 5—Casting Process (China Machines Press, Beijing, 2011)Google Scholar
- 2.S. Lampman, Casting Design and Performance (ASM International, Novelty, 2009)Google Scholar
- 3.J. Campbell, Complete Casting Handbook—Metal Casting Processes, Metallurgy, Techniques and Design (Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford, 2011)Google Scholar
- 7.D. Vaghasia, Gating System Design Optimization for Sand Casting (Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, Mumbai, 2009)Google Scholar
- 14.N. Wukovich, G. Metevelis, AFS Trans. 97, 285–302 (1989)Google Scholar
- 15.http://www.baizhuwang.com/huazhu/. Accessed 22 Nov 2018
- 16.N.A. Dukare, R.M. Metkar, N.A. Vidhate, S.D. Hiwase, Int. J. Mech. Eng. 4, 8–14 (2014)Google Scholar
- 20.W.T. Pan, Fruit Fly Optimization Algorithm (Tsang Hai Book Publishing Co., Taipei, 2011)Google Scholar
- 22.T. Wang, J.X. Zhou, Y.J. Yin, X. Shen, Q. Zhou, Spec. Cast. Nonferrous Alloys 36, 246–249 (2016)Google Scholar