Analysing the spillover of inflation in selected Euro-area countries
- 113 Downloads
We examined the spillover of inflation in selected Euro-area countries using monthly consumer price index (CPI) based inflation data covering the period 1955M1 to 2017M4. To achieve our objective, we used two recently developed methods of spillover: a time-domain spillover method, Diebold–Yilmaz (hereafter referred as DY method) and a frequency-domain method, Barunik–Krehlik (hereafter referred as BK method). We analysed 1–4 months and more than 4 months spillovers. The study has importance because the co-movement in the international inflation rates, among others, may be produced by common shocks, similarities in central bank reaction functions, international trade and the operation of purchasing power parity theory. However, to assess the synchronisation of inflation fluctuations across countries or regions, it is critical to understand the inflation behaviour and formulation of correct monetary policy.
KeywordsInflation Spillover Time–frequency
JEL CodesC40 E31 E32 F44
- Auer, R. A., and Saure, P. 2013. The globalisation of inflation: A view from the cross section. In Globalisation and inflation dynamics in Asia and the Pacific, volume 70 of BIS papers chapters, ed. Bank for International Settlements, 113–118. Basel: Bank for International Settlements.Google Scholar
- Barunik, J., and Krehlik, T. 2016. Measuring the frequency dynamics of financial and macroeconomic connectedness, FinMaP-Working Paper, No. 54, Kiel University, FinMaP - Financial Distortions and Macroeconomic Performance, Kiel.Google Scholar
- Bernanke, B. (2007). Global imbalances: recent developments and prospects. Bundesbank lecture speech, September, 4, pp. 18.Google Scholar
- Ciccarelli, M., and B. Mojon. 2005. Global Inflation, ECB WPS no 537.Google Scholar
- Dragouni, M., Filis, G., and Antonakakis, N. 2013. Time-varying interdependencies of tourism and economic growth: evidence from European Countries. FIW Working Paper series 128, FIW.Google Scholar
- European central bank. 2017. European Central Bank. https://www.ecb.europa.eu/mopo/strategy/pricestab/html/index.en.html. Accessed 30 Oct 2017.
- Forbes, J., N. Hewlett, and F. Nectoux. 2001. Contemporary France: essays and texts on politics, economics and society. Pearson Education: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Gambetti, L., and Musso, A. 2017. The macroeconomic impact of the ECB’s expanded asset purchase programme (APP). ECB Working Paper No. 2075.Google Scholar
- Hakkio, C.S. 2010. Global inflation dynamics. Newbury Park: DIANE Publishing.Google Scholar
- Tiwari, A.K., N. Bhanja, and A.B. Dar. 2016. Frequency based co-movement of inflation in selected euro area countries. OECD Journal: Journal of Business Cycle Measurement and Analysis 2015 (2): 1–13.Google Scholar