Enhanced effective thickness model for buckling of LG beams with different boundary conditions
Because of their characteristic high slenderness ratios, laminated glass elements are frequently subjected to buckling phenomena. Here, simple analytical formulae for the evaluation of the effective thickness for the compressive buckling verification of laminated glass beams are proposed, based on the Enhanced Effective Thickness model, widely used for the design of laminated glass. The model applies also to multilaminates. Tables for the calculation of the relevant coefficients in the most common cases have been added for ease of reference and to facilitate the practical use. Comparison with numerical results, performed by considered paradigmatic cases, confirm the accuracy of the proposed formulae.
KeywordsLaminated glass Buckling verification Effective thickness
The authors acknowledge the support of the Italian Dipartimento della Protezione Civile under project ReLUIS-DPC 2018-2020.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
There are no conflict of interest to declare.
- ABAQUS. Analysis users manual, version 6.12. Simulia, (2012)Google Scholar
- Amadio, C., Bedon, C.: Buckling verification of laminated glass elements in compression. J Civ Eng Sci 1(3), 90–101 (2012)Google Scholar
- ASTM E-1300: Standard practice for determining load resistance of glass in buildings. Technical report, (2012)Google Scholar
- Calderone, I., Davies, P.S., Bennison, S.J., Xiaokun, H., Gang, L.: Effective laminate thickness for the design of laminated glass. In : Proceedings of Glass Performance Days, Tampere (FIN), pp. 12–15, (2009)Google Scholar
- CEN/TC 250. prCEN/TS xxxx:2018 - Structural glass— Design and construction rules. (2018)Google Scholar
- National Research Council (Italy). CNR-DT 210: Guide for the Design, Construction and Control of Buildings with Structural Glass Elements. (2013)Google Scholar
- Nunziante, L., Gambarotta, L., Tralli, A.: Scienza delle costruzioni. McGraw-Hill, New York (2008)Google Scholar
- prEN 16612: Glass in building—determination of the lateral load resistance of glass panes by calculation. Standard, CEN/TC 129, (2016)Google Scholar
- Wölfel, E.: Nachgiebiger verbund - eine näherungslösung und deren anwendungsmöglichkeiten. Stahlbau 6, 173–180 (1987)Google Scholar