Leaders in ethics education
- 3 Downloads
Prof. Berna Arda, is a graduate of Ankara University Faculty of Medicine 1987, has medical specialty and PhD degrees in History of Medicine and Ethics and, teaches at the Department of Medical Ethics and History of Medicine in Ankara University Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey. Her main research and publication fields are science ethics, human rights, woman and bioethics, medical law, ethics education and disease concept in history of medicine. She was a visiting scientist at Boston Children’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, between February - July 2015 and a guest professor at the University College of London, History of Medicine Center, between January and June 2008. She is the founder chairperson of Turkish Bioethics Society (1994 - 2001), Member of High Disciplinary Committee of Turkish Medical Association (2008 - 2012). Governor (2006- ), Vice President (2010 - 2018 ) and Executive Committee member (2018-2020) of World Association for Medical Law, one of the founders and the first president of International Association for Education in Ethics (2012 - 2016).
KeywordsBioethics Ethics education Gender studies Turkey
Sincere thanks to Dr. P. Elif Ekmekçi, Prof. Dr. Filiz Çay Şenler and Aslı Arda(attorney at law) for their valuable contribution to the text.
- Arda B: A model from Turkey on the history of the health sciences as seen from the point of view of scientific societies and their contributions – The Guest House Society. Vesalius 2003, Vol IX (1): 38–40.Google Scholar
- Arda, B. 2004. Human rights in medical ethics education. Journal of the International Association of Medical Science Educators 14 (1): 5–7.Google Scholar
- Arda B: Fuat Aziz Göksel Kitabı, 2009a, AÜTF Yayın No: 454, Ankara Üniversitesi Matbaası, Ankara. (ISBN 978-975-482-798-9) (in Turkish).Google Scholar
- Arda, B. 2009b. Ethical bodies: Are they possible under democratic systems? The Turkish example. Journal of Medicine and Law 28 (3): 531–539.Google Scholar
- Arda B, Kavas MV: Turkey, Chapter in Handbook of global bioethics (Eds. Henk ten Have, Bert Gordijn), 2013, pp 1573–1596, Springer. ISBN 978-94-007-2513-3.Google Scholar
- Ekmekci, P.E. 2016a. Medical ethics education in Turkey; state of play and challenges. International Online Journal of Education and Teaching (IOJET) 3 (1): 54–63.Google Scholar
- Ekmekci, P.E., and B. Arda. 2015. A view of Turkey and European relations from the perspective of medical legislation: An assessment of state of play. Revista Romana de Bioethica 13 (1): 105–118.Google Scholar
- Ekmekci, P.E., and B. Arda. 2017. Interculturalism and informed consent: Respecting cultural differences without breaching human rights. Cultura. International Journal of Philosophy of Culture and Axiology 14 (2): 159–173.Google Scholar
- Ekmekci, P.E., M. Oral, and S.E. Yurdakul. 2015. A qualitative evaluation of ethics educational program in health science. Medicine and Law Journal 34 (2): 217–228.Google Scholar
- Göksel FA: The sycamore tree of Mr. Saffet. Ankara Tıp 14 Mart Dergisi, 1991, p.50–51 (in Turkish).Google Scholar
- Göksel FA: A Preface for the Possible Philosophy of Medicine in. Temel İç Hastalıkları , 1996. Ed. G İliçin, S Ünal, K Biberoglu, S Akalın, G Süleymanlar, Güneş Kitabevi, p. VII–XIV, Ankara. (in Turkish).Google Scholar
- Kavas, M.V., N.Y. Yalım, S. Sahinoğlu, B. Arda, A. Acıduman, and Ö. İlgili. 2014. AÜTF öğrencilerinin Uygulamalı Aydınlatılmış Onam Alma Becerisi(UAOAB) eğitim programı ile ilgili görüşleri: 2010–2014 yıllarını kapsayan bir anket çalışması. Ankara Üniversitesi Tıp Fakültesi Mecmuası Mecmuası 67 (3): 87–98 in Turkish.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Özgümüş, A.M., and P.E. Ekmekci. 2018. Refugee health: A moral discussion. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health (letter to the editor) https://doi.org/10.1007/s10903-018-0762-1.
- Soysal M: On Turkey, the Cumhuriyet, p.12, 17 March 2007 (in Turkish).Google Scholar
- TTB Mezuniyet öncesi tıp eğitimi raporları (Turkish Medical Association, Reports on Undergraduate Medical Education, 2010 www.ttb.org.tr (in Turkish) (accessed on July12, 2018).