Implementation of an Environmental Quality and Harmful Gases Monitoring System in Cloud
- 85 Downloads
The improvement of environmental quality is aligned with the betterment of life quality. Poor air quality has a greatest impact on people health, it links to cancer, long-term harm to cardiovascular and respiratory systems. Conversely, safe air quality free of harmful gases such as formaldehyde, volatile organic compounds and carbon monoxide helps to prevent disease and other health problems. The application of information technology can greatly enhance the effectiveness of ensuring good air quality. Therefore, the implementation of environmental quality and harmful gases monitoring system is beneficial to manage indoor air quality. In this work, we built an environment quality monitoring system, which can adjust the indoor air quality and monitor the concentration of formaldehyde, volatile organic compounds and carbon monoxide. If the environment comfort value is out of the standard, the system will give notification if the concentration of harmful gases exceeds the standard, and activates air ventilation and purification devices. With these real-time data, the proposed system can help people make right and timely decisions, and act in time to maintain a healthy environment in the monitored area.
KeywordsPreventive healthcare Environmental comfort index Environmental Quality Monitoring System
This work was supported in part by the Ministry of Science and Technology, Taiwan ROC, under grants number MOST 104-2221-E-029-010-MY3, MOST 106-2621-M-029-001, and MOST 106-2221-E-126-012-MY2.
C-TY designed the research plan and organized the study. S-TC and WD participated in all experiments, coordinate the data analysis and contributed to the writing of the manuscript. C-CW Completed the coding.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
We declare that we have no significant competing financial, professional or personal interests that might have influenced the performance or presentation of the work described in this manuscript.
- 1.Yan, Q.-H., Yan, Z.-P., & Tan, C.-W. (2015). Design and implementation of household gas monitoring system based on zigbee+gprs communication. In 2015 International Conference on Intelligent Transportation, Big Data and Smart City, pp. 274–277.Google Scholar
- 2.Xu, J., Tang, Y.-N., & Li, X. (2016). High performance combustible gas monitoring system. In 2016 10th International Conference on Sensing Technology (ICST), pp. 1–5.Google Scholar
- 3.Jian, F., & Wei, L. (2014). Harmful gases wireless network monitoring system design. In 2014 International Symposium on Computer, Consumer and Control, pp. 551–553.Google Scholar
- 12.LAN/MAN Standards Committee of the IEEE Computer Society, Wireless Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications for Low-Rate Wireless Personal Area Networks (LR-WPANs), IEEE, 2003.Google Scholar
- 13.Lönn, J., & Olsson, J. (2005). Zigbee for wireless networking. Master Thesis, Linköping University.Google Scholar
- 14.“ZigBee Specification FAQ”. Zigbee Alliance. Archived from the original on 27 June 2013. Retrieved 14 June 2013.Google Scholar
- 15.Yang, C., Huang, Q., Li, Z., Liu, K., & Hu, F. (2017). Big Data and cloud computing: Innovation opportunities and challenges. International Journal of Digital Earth, 10(1), 13–53. https://doi.org/10.1080/17538947.2016.1239771.
- 16.MySQL Cluster Architecture Overview. (2004). A mysql® technical white paper. https://confluence.oceanobservatories.org/download/attachments/16418744/mysql-cluster-technical-whitepaper.pdf.
- 18.Health Level Seven®INTERNATIONAL. http://www.hl7.org/.
- 19.Czajkowski, K., Foster, I., & Kesselman, C. (1999). Resource co-allocation in computational grids. In Proceedings of the Eighth IEEE International Symposium on High Performance Distributed Computing (HPDC-8 99).Google Scholar
- 21.Yang, C.-T., Shih, W.-C., Chen, L.-T., Kuo, C.-T., Jiang, F.-C., & Leu, F.-Y. (2015). Accessing medical image file with coallocation HDFS in cloud. Future Generation Computer Systems, 43–44, 61–73.Google Scholar
- 22.Yang, C.-T., Shih, W.-C., Huang, C.-L., Jiang, F.-C., & Chu, W. C.-C. (2016). On construction of a distributed data storage system in cloud. Computing, 98(1–2), 93–118.Google Scholar
- 23.ASCII (American standard code for information interchange). http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII.
- 24.Yang, C.-T., Liao, C.-J., Liu, J.-C., Den, W., Chou, Y.-C., & Tsai, J.-J. (2014). Construction and application of an intelligent air quality monitoring system for healthcare environment. Journal of Medical Systems, 38, 15.Google Scholar
- 25.Yang, C.-T., Liu, J.-C., Chen, S.-T., & Lu, H.-W. (2017). Implementation of a big data accessing and processing platform for medical records in cloud. Journal of Medical Systems, 41, 149.Google Scholar