Macroscopic features of production network and sequential graph drawing
Nation-wide economic system has both stability and flexibility in normal condition. In this study, we solve how these two superficially inconsistent properties are materialized, by exploring macroscopic structure of production network of Japan. For the purpose of this analysis, we developed a method which can generate successive layouts of changing large-scale complex network. By applying the proposed method, we visualize a series of Japanese production network with supplier–customer link direction. It is already known that the Japanese production network has the so-called “bow-tie” structure of directed network. Our method lets us examine how the bow-tie structure changes along with time, to find a stable core part and ephemeral peripheral part. Combined with quantitative analysis, we found that it is the way of transformation of this structure that makes both integrity and flexibility possible within a single economic network.
KeywordsProduction network Visualization Time-series
JEL ClassificationC880 Y910 Y8
We would like to thank Hideaki Aoyama, Yuichi Kichikawa and Hiroshi Iyetomi for helpful discussions. This works was supported by JSPS KAKENHI Grant number 17HD2041.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
On behalf of all authors, the corresponding author states that there is no conflict of interest.
This works was supported by JSPS KAKENHI Grant Number 17HD2041 as stated in the acknowledgements section.
This article does not contain any studies with animals performed by any of the authors. This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- Aoyama H, Fujiwara Y, Ikeda Y, Iyetomi H, Souma W, Yoshikawa H (2017) Macro-econophysics. Cambridge University Press, CambridgeGoogle Scholar
- Di Battista G, Eades P, Tamassia R, Tollis I (1998) Graph drawing: algorithms for the visualization of graphs. Prentice Hall, Englewood CliffsGoogle Scholar
- Inoue H, Todo Y (2018) Firm-level simulation of supply chain disruption triggered by actual and predicted earthquakes. RIETI Discussion Paper 18-E 013Google Scholar
- Krichene H, Yoshiyuki A, Chakraborty A, Yoshi F, Hiroyasu I (2018) How firms choose their partners in the Japanese supplier-customer network? An application of the exponential random graph model. RIETI Discussion Paper 18-E 011Google Scholar
- Tokyo Shoko Research, Ltd. (2016) (Tokyo, Japan). http://www.tsr-net.co.jp