Analysis of household broadband technology preferences in Slovenia
- 3 Downloads
This paper empirically examines the factors broadband users take into account when choosing their fixed broadband access mode in Slovenia. The conditional logit model was employed incorporating the survey data. The results reveal that the socioeconomic characteristics of users (age, education, gender, presence of student/pupil in the household, living in the city, subscription to TV services, and preferences for speed) influence the choice between different broadband access modes. Contrary to our expectations, access mode characteristics (the price, the download speed) have no statistically significant impact on the choice of the broadband access mode. This may be attributed to the intense price competition among different broadband technologies resulting in the price convergence and behavior of users, which tend to use the internet mainly for basic services. The results of the analysis may hold important implications for internet service providers when identifying appropriate strategies to attract customers to subscribe to their broadband technologies.
KeywordsBroadband Demand Fibre Conditional logit model
JEL ClassificationD12 L96 L86
This study was supported by the Slovenian Research Agency (Grant number P5-0117).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- AKOS. (2014a). Poročilo o razvoju trga elektronskih komunikacij za četrto četrtletje 2013 [Report on the development of the Slovenian electronic communications markets for the fourth quarter of 2013]. Ljubljana: Agency for Communication Networks and Services of the Republic of Slovenia (AKOS).Google Scholar
- AKOS. (2014b). Poročilo o razvoju trga elektronskih komunikacij za tretje četrtletje 2014 [Report on the development of the Slovenian electronic communications markets for the third quarter of 2014]. Ljubljana: Agency for Communication Networks and Services of the Republic of Slovenia (AKOS).Google Scholar
- AKOS. (2019). Poročilo o razvoju trga elektronskih komunikacij za četrto četrtletje 2018 [Report on the development of the Slovenian electronic communications markets for the fourth quarter of 2018]. Ljubljana: Agency for Communication Networks and Services of the Republic of Slovenia (AKOS).Google Scholar
- EC. (2014a). Broadband access in the EU: situation at 1 July 2013. Brussels, 25 March 2014, COCOM14-03.Google Scholar
- EC. (2014b). Broadband indicators. https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/news/scoreboard-2014-trends-european-broadband-markets-2014. Accessed 10 Dec 2017.
- EC. (2014c). Broadband coverage in Europe 2013, mapping progress towards the coverage objectives of the digital agenda. A study prepared for the European Commission, DG Communications Networks, Content and Technology by IHS Inc. and Valdani Vicari and Associati.Google Scholar
- EC. (2018a). Comparison of technologies. https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/comparison-technologies. Accessed 10 Oct 2018.
- EC. (2018b). Electronic communications market indicators. Broadband indicators—July 2018. https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/connectivity. Accessed 8 May 2019.
- EC. (2018c). Connectivity, broadband market developments in the EU. http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/newsroom/image/document/2018-20/1_desi_report_connectivity_DFB52691-EF07-642E−28344441CE0FCBD1_52245.pdf. Accessed 10 May 2018.
- EC. (2018d). Broadband coverage in Europe 2017. A study prepared for the European Commission, DG Communications Networks, Content and Technology by IHS Markit Ltd. and Point Topic. https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/news/study-broadband-coverage-europe-2017. Accessed 8 May 2019.
- EC. (2018e). DESI 2018, Country Report Slovenia. https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/scoreboard/slovenia. Accessed 8 May 2019.
- Greene, W. H. (2000). Econometric analysis (5th ed.). Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- Hrovatin, N., Cibic, D., & Švigelj, M. (2013). Deployment of the fibre network in Slovenia: What can be learnt? Transformation in Business and Economics, 12(1), 182–205.Google Scholar
- McFadden, D. (1973). Conditional logit analysis of qualitative choice behavior. In P. Zarembka (Ed.), Frontiers in econometrics (pp. 105–142). New York: Academic Press.Google Scholar
- SORS (2014). Internet usage in households and by individuals, Slovenia, 2014—final data. Ljubljana: Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia. https://www.stat.si/statweb. Accessed 20 July 2015.