Experimental Study on Dynamic Fracture Toughness of Compact Tension Specimens
- 79 Downloads
In this paper, the dynamic fracture toughness test of 2A12T4 aluminum alloy compact tension (CT) specimens is carried out by tensile stress waves, based on a Hopkinson experimental device. The crack propagation of the CT specimen is recorded by a high-speed camera. The dynamic fracture toughness of CT specimens with two different crack forms was studied by using the digital image correlation method and the strain gauge method. The study analyzed the CT specimen dynamic fracture toughness of different crack types, different thicknesses and prefabricated lengths were discussed. Research results indicate that, under the same loading conditions, the dynamic fracture toughness of prefabricated fatigue crack specimens is less than of the wire cutting gap specimens. With an increase in the length of fabricated fatigue crack, the dynamic fracture toughness decreases. The dynamic fracture toughness of 15 mm thick CT specimens is greater than that of 20 mm thick specimens.
KeywordsHopkinson tensile bar Dynamic fracture toughness Compact tension specimen 2A12T4 aluminum alloy Digital image correlation
Supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (No.11372081,No.11602068) & Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (No.HEUCFM170203,HEUCFP201744,HEUCFP201762).
- 1.Chen WW, Song B (2011) Split Hopkinson (Kolsky) Bar: design, testing and applications. In: Mechanical Engineering Series, 1st edn. Springer, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 3.Lu F Y, Chen R, Lin Y L, et al. (2013) Hopkinson Bar Techniques. Sci Press, ISBN:9787030384348Google Scholar
- 4.Wang QJ, Guo WG, Zuo HX et al (2013) Fracture toughness of ultra-strength steel 18NiC250 at different loading rates. Explo Shock Waves 33(3):238–242Google Scholar
- 5.Zhang XX, Liu RT (2003) Effect of loading rate on fracture toughness of a ship-building steel. Explo Shock Waves 23(1):47–50Google Scholar
- 7.Zou GP, Chang ZL, Qu J et al (2011) Experimental study of dynamic fracture toughness of specimen subjected to compact tension under plane strain. J Exp Mech 26(3):240–246Google Scholar
- 8.Costin LS, Duffy J, Freund LB (1977) Fracture initiation in metals under stress wave loading conditions. ASTM Spec Tech Publ 627:301–318Google Scholar
- 12.ASTM Standard E399–06.Standard Test Method for Linear-Elastic Plane-Strain Fracture Toughness KIC of Metallic Materials. ASTM International (2007)Google Scholar
- 15.ASTM-E1823-07a.Standard Terminology: Relating to Fatigue and Fracture Testing[S]. ASTM International (2007)Google Scholar