A new patterning method for microstructural strain mapping of Al-5754 alloy using image correlation
- 94 Downloads
A new, simple chemical etching based surface patterning method for microstructural strain mapping of Al-5754 alloy is proposed. This method reveals the grain boundaries and micro-constituents of the alloy which can serve as high contrast random dot pattern for microstructural strain calculation using digital image correlation. The suitability of the surface pattern developed by this method to accurately map the microstructural strain evolution during tensile deformation with adequate spatial resolution to address intragranular strain heterogeneities has been quantitatively assessed and demonstrated.
KeywordsAluminum alloy Digital image correlation Microstructural strain map Random dot pattern Chemical etching
Srinivasan Nagarajan gratefully acknowledges the Science and Engineering Research Board, Department of Science and Technology, Government of India for funding this work (PDF/2016/003984).
- 4.Carter JLW, Uchic MD, Mills MJ (2015) Impact of speckle pattern parameters on DIC strain resolution calculated from in-situ SEM experiments. In: Carroll J, Daly S (eds) Fracture, Fatigue, Failure, and Damage Evolution. Springer, Cham, pp 119–126Google Scholar
- 5.Reu P (2015) All about speckles: Speckle density. Exp Tech 39:1–2Google Scholar
- 6.Sutton, M.A. (2008) Digital image correlation for shape and deformation measurements. In: Sharpe, Jr., William, N. (eds.) Springer Handbook of Experimental Solid Mechanics, pp. 565–600. SpringerGoogle Scholar
- 18.Wang, Y., Lava, P., Coppieters, S., Strycker, M.D., Van Houtte, P., Debruyne, D.: Investigation of the uncertainty of DIC under heterogeneous strain states with numerical tests. Strain 48, 453–462 (2012)Google Scholar
- 22.Reu., P (2015) All about speckles: Contrast. Exp. Tech 39:1–2Google Scholar