Eco-Friendly Holi Colors: Hospital Based ‘Income Generation Activity’ for Persons with Mental Health Challenges at a Quaternary Mental Health Care Facility in India
Persons with mental health challenges have a felt need to earn an income but are constrained by opportunities. A hospital based income generation activity for making ‘Eco-friendly Holi colors’ was conceptualized with inter-sectoral collaboration to create opportunities for persons with mental health challenges, involve them as ‘stakeholders’ and distribute profits among them. Holi colors were chosen due to the novelty of product, ease of production and good profit margin. In this paper, we describe the need, process, experience, facilitators, challenges and key learnings in the selected income generation activity.
KeywordsIncome generation Psychiatric rehabilitation Hospital based intervention Mental illness Mental retardation
(1) Ms. Lakshmamma—Contract staff who brings flowers every day. (2) Late Mr. Appa Saheb Badage—Tailoring section instructor, PRS, NIMHANS. (3) Craftizen foundation. (4) Accenture India—funding Craftizen foundation for livelihood programs for persons with disabilities. (5) Richmond Fellowship Society (I), Bangalore branch. (6) Department of Mental Health Education, NIMHANS. (7) Department of Bio-Medical Engineering, NIMHANS. (8) Project section, NIMHANS. (9) Accounts section, NIMHANS.
Craftizen foundation and individual donors who prefer to remain anonymous.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that there is no conflict of interest.
- 1.Disabled Persons in India: A statistical profile 2016 [Internet]. New Delhi: Government of India; 2016 [cited 28 February 2019]. http://mospi.nic.in/sites/default/files/publication_reports/Disabled_persons_in_India_2016.pdf.
- 2.Gururaj G, Varghese M, Benegal V, Rao GN, Pathak K, Singh LK, Mehta RY, Ram D, Shibukumar TM, Kokane A, Lenin Singh RK, Chavan BS, Sharma P, Ramasubramanian C, Dalal PK, Saha PK, Deuri SP, Giri AK, Kavishvar AB, Sinha VK, Thavody J, Chatterji R, Akoijam MR and N collaborators. National Mental Health Survey of India, 2015–2016 [Internet]. National Mental Health Survey of India, 2015–2016: Prevalence, Pattern and Outcomes. 2016. http://www.nimhans.ac.in/sites/default/files/u197/NMHSReport%28MentalHealthSystems%291.pdf.
- 3.About the community-based rehabilitation (CBR) matrix [Internet]. World Health Organization. 2019 [cited 28 February 2019]. http://www.who.int/disabilities/cbr/matrix/en/.
- 5.ShihabuddeenTM I, Bilagi S, Krishnamurthy K, Chandran M. Rehabilitation needs and disability in persons with Schizophrenia and the needs of the care givers. Delhi Psychiatry J. 2012;15(1):118–21.Google Scholar
- 7.The Times of India. A caring home for mentally challenged. [Internet]. 2010 [cited 11 April 2019]. https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/mangaluru/A-caring-home-for-mentally-challenged/articleshow/5414259.cms.
- 8.Central Institute of Psychiatry, Ranchi [Internet]. Cipranchi.nic.in. [cited 11 April 2019]. https://cipranchi.nic.in/?p=content1&dept=7.
- 9.RINPAS [Internet]. Rinpas.nic.in. [cited 11 April 2019]. http://rinpas.nic.in/rehab.htm.
- 10.Rehabilitation services | Institute of Mental Health & Neuro Sciences [Internet]. Imhans.org. 2016 [cited 11 April 2019]. http://imhans.org/rehabilitation-services/.
- 11.Saini P. The Banyan launches new bakery to help rehabilitate residents [Internet]. dtNext.in. 2016 [cited 28 February 2019]. https://www.dtnext.in/News/City/2016/07/17003614/The-Banyan-launches-new-bakery-to-help-rehabilitate.vpf.
- 12.Green Holi: Nimhans patients make colours from used flowers—Times of India [Internet]. The Times of India. 2017 [cited 28 February 2019]. https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bengaluru/green-holi-nimhans-patients-make-colours-from-used-flowers/articleshow/57623928.cms.
- 13.Rao S. Special kids turn flower waste into Holi colours. Mumbai: Times of India; 2018.Google Scholar
- 14.Chakraborty J. When Holi goes green! [Internet]. Deccan Chronicle. 2018 [cited 28 February 2019]. https://www.deccanchronicle.com/nation/current-affairs/020318/when-holi-goes-green.html.
- 15.Sridevi S. ‘Petallists’ wish you an eco-friendly Holi [Internet]. The New Indian Express. 2018 [cited 28 February 2019]. http://www.newindianexpress.com/cities/bengaluru/2018/feb/26/petallists-wish-you-an-eco-friendly-holi-1779295.html.
- 16.Gottlieb A, Myhill W, Blanck P. Employment of People with Disabilities [Internet]. 2010 [cited 28 February 2019]. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/287241020_Employment_of_People_with_Disabilities.
- 17.Shenoy M. Persons with disability and the India labour market: challenges and opportunities [Internet]. Ilo.org. 2011 [cited 28 February 2019]. http://www.ilo.org/wcmsp5/groups/public/—asia/—ro-bangkok/—sro-new_delhi/documents/publication/wcms_229259.pdf.
- 18.Care and Treatment in Mental Health Institutions–Some Glimpses in the Recent Period [Internet]. nhrc.nic.in. 2012 [cited 28 February 2019]. http://nhrc.nic.in/sites/default/files/Care_and_Mental_Health_2012.pdf.
- 19.Yasmeen A. Plan to integrate long-stay patients in mental hospitals [Internet]. The Hindu. 2018 [cited 28 February 2019]. https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/karnataka/plan-to-integrate-long-stay-patients-in-mental-hospitals/article24782339.ece.
- 22.Kurien V. I too had a dream. Lotus. New Delhi. 10th Impression. 2014 edition. 2005. ISBN-13: 978-8174364074.Google Scholar
- 24.Bhabani S. Canteen work gives Kolkata patients a new lease of life [Internet]. Mail Online. 2015 [cited 28 February 2019]. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahome/indianews/article-3158510/Canteen-work-gives-Kolkata-patients-new-lease-life.html.
- 25.Katyal S. A tea shop is rekindling the hopes of the mentally challenged inmates of a hospital—The Better India [Internet]. The Better India. 2015 [cited 28 February 2019]. https://www.thebetterindia.com/24069/inclusion-of-mentally-challenged-inmates-by-employing-teashop-pavlov-hospital-kolkata/.
- 26.Bhattacharya S. Laundry project in Kolkata mental hospital washes away patient’s blues [Internet]. https://www.hindustantimes.com/. 2016 [cited 28 February 2019]. https://www.hindustantimes.com/kolkata/laundry-project-in-kolkata-mental-hospital-washes-away-patient-s-blues/story-BrlHAp8u1KOK64bz9pKCNN.html.