Effect of 1,3,4-Thiadiazole Scaffold on the Corrosion Inhibition of Mild Steel in Acidic Medium: An Experimental and Computational Study
- 15 Downloads
The optimal inhibition efficiency of DBTA (4-Dimethylamino-benzylidene)-[1, 3, 4]thiadiazol-2-yl-amine) for MS (mild steel) in 1.0 M hydrochloric acid solution was achieved through employing electrochemical impedance spectroscopy (EIS) and weight loss techniques in addition to Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM). Theoretical calculations based on Density functional theory (DFT) method were carried out for DBTA. Investigations of the mechanism for the corrosion inhibition for MS with DBTA in acidic solution by molecular simulations were performed. The results demonstrated that DBTA is an excellent corrosion inhibitor for MS in corrosive solution, and the inhibitory effectiveness was 91%, much higher than that expected at the highest concentration of DBTA. Spontaneous process of adsorption of DBTA on the mild steel surface was proved based on Langmuir adsorption isotherm.
KeywordsMild steel Acid corrosion inhibition Thiadiazole moiety DFT DBTA
The authors gratefully acknowledge the support provided by the UKM-YSD Chair on Sustainable Development for the Grant 020–2017’Malaysia’ to carry out this research.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 3.Al-Baghdadi1, S. B.; Noori, F. T. M.; Ahmed, W. K.; Al-Amiery. A. A. Thiadiazole as a Potential Corrosion Inhibitor for Mild Steel in 1 M HCl. J. Adv. Electrochem. 2016, 2, 67-69Google Scholar
- 11.Standard A. G1–03. Standard Practice for preparing, cleaning, and evaluating corrosion test specimens. Annual Book ASTM Standards 2003, 3, 17-25Google Scholar
- 29.Mendonça GLF, Costa SN, Freire VN, Casciano PNS, Correia AN, de Lima-Neto P (2017) Understanding the corrosion inhibition of carbon steel and copper in sulphuric acid medium by amino acids using electrochemical techniques allied to molecular modelling methods. Corros Sci 115:41–55CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 35.Abd El-Lateef HM, Abu-Dief AM, Abdel-Rahman LH, Sanudo EC, Aliaga-Alcalde N (2015) Electrochemical and theoretical quantum approaches on the inhibition of C1018 carbon steel corrosion in acidic medium containing chloride using some newly synthesized phenolic Schiff bases compounds. J Electroanal Chem 743:120–133CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 46.Frisch MJ (2007) Gaussian 03, revision E.01. Gaussian Inc., WallingfordGoogle Scholar