Corrosion Resistance of Niobium-Coated Carbon Steel
- 24 Downloads
In this work, the effectiveness of niobium coatings for the corrosion protection of carbon steel was studied. Three niobium resins, containing different molar proportions of citric acid:ethylene glycol, were coated separately onto samples of carbon steel (SAE 1020). The niobium layers were obtained by the polymeric precursor method (Pechini). Potentiodynamic polarization curves (anodic and cathodic) and electrochemical impedance spectroscopy were used to evaluate the corrosion resistance of the niobium-coated carbon steel samples in a 0.5 mol L−1 NaCl electrolyte solution. X-ray diffraction analysis of the niobium layers showed that they are composed of the niobates: NbO, NbO2 and Fe0.998Nb0.002. Surface observation by scanning electron microscopy revealed a uniformly deposited niobium coating on the surface. The electrochemical results showed that niobium was effective in the corrosion protection of the carbon steel substrate. The results also suggested that niobium can be coated onto the substrate to form a layer with advantageous corrosion properties.
KeywordsPechini method Corrosion Niobium ammonium oxalate
The authors are grateful for FUNDAÇÃO ARAUCÁRIA financial support provided to this research and also for CBMM for the Nb2O5 used in this study. This study was financed in part by the Coordnação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior—Brasil (CAPES)—Finance Code 001.
- 1.Roberge PR, Pierre R (1999) Handbook of corrosion engineering library of congress cataloging-in-publication data. Mac Graw-Hill, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 3.Lima OJ, De Nassar EJ (2002) Testes de biocompatibilidade, aplicação e obtenção de novos materiais a partir do Nióbio. 25 Reunião Anual da Sociedade Brasileira de Química, vol 1, p 2–3Google Scholar
- 15.Viomar A, Maia GA, Scremin FR, Khalil NM, da Cunha MT, Antunes AC, Rodrigues PRP (2016) Influence of obtaining method of Nb2O5 particles used in dye sensitized solar cells consisting of TiO2/Nb2O5. Revista Virtual de Química 8(3):889–900Google Scholar
- 19.Pechini M (1967) Method of preparing lead and alkaline earth titanates and niobates and coating method using the same to form a capacitor. US Patent 3,330,697Google Scholar
- 26.Costa M, Lira H (2014) Effect of calcination temperature on the structural characteristics and morphology of aluminas synthesized by the Pechini. Materia 19:171–182Google Scholar
- 32.Tussolini M (2013) Caracterização das camadas de Nb2O5 na ausência ou presença de nanotubo de carbono e/ou carbeto de silício na superfície da liga de alummínio AA3003. Tese de Doutorado. Universidade Estadual do Centro OesteGoogle Scholar