Multi-Reservoir Utilization Planning to Optimize Hydropower Energy and Flood Control Simultaneously
- 1 Downloads
Optimizing the utilization of reservoirs has become an indispensable part of water resources planning. One of the challenges is how to overcome the conflict between the flood control and the revenue generated from hydropower energy. The Ostour and Pirtaghi reservoirs, which are crucial in Iran water system, are selected in this study. The aim is to find the optimal values for water release from each reservoir over a 12-month period to maximize both objective functions. The imperialist competitive algorithm is employed to optimize this multiobjective-nonlinear problem with complex constraints. It is observed that the imperialist competitive algorithm has a fast convergence and it is highly adaptable to defined constraints such as water release limitation, minimum downstream flow, water balance in reservoirs. This study results in better flood control and more revenue from the sale of hydropower energy. The paper also provides a systematic guidance to properly formulate and solve a multi-objective problem.
KeywordsFlood control Hydropower energy Imperialist competitive algorithm Multi-objective optimization
The authors would like to thank two anonymous reviewers and the associate editor of the journal for their constructive comments, which significantly helped to improve the quality of the paper.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
- Afrozi MN, Aghdam MH, Naebi A, Aghdam SH (2011) Simulation and optimization of asynchronous AC motor control by particle swarm optimization (PSO) and emperor algorithm. In: 2011 UKSim 5th European symposium on computer modeling and simulation 251–256, IEEEGoogle Scholar
- Atashpaz-Gargari E, Lucas C (2007) Imperialist competitive algorithm: an algorithm for optimization inspired by imperialistic competition. In: Evolutionary computation. CEC 2007. IEEE Congress, 4661–4667Google Scholar
- Azadnia A, Zahraie B (2010) Application of multi-objective particle swarm optimization in operation management of reservoirs with sedimentation problems. In: World environmental and water resources congress 2010: challenges of change, 2260–2268Google Scholar
- Deb K (2014) Multi-objective Optimization. In: Burke E, Kendall G (eds) Search methodologies. Springer, Boston, MAGoogle Scholar
- Idoumghar L, Chérin N, Siarry P, Roche R, Miraoui A (2013) Hybrid ICA–PSO algorithm for continuous optimization. Appl Math Comput 219(24):11149–11170Google Scholar
- Noori M, Othman F, Sharifi MB, Heydari M (2013) Multi objective operation optimization of reservoirs using genetic algorithm (case study: Ostoor and Pirtaghi reservoirs in Ghezel Ozan Watershed), 2nd international conference on environment. Energy Biotechnol 51(10):49–54Google Scholar
- Zhao T, Zhao J, Yang D (2014) Improved dynamic programming for hydropower reservoir operation. J Water Resour Plann Manage 140(3):365–374. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)WR.1943-5452.0000343 CrossRefGoogle Scholar