Self-Aggregation of Deep Convection and its Implications for Climate
Purpose of Review
This paper reviews the self-aggregation of deep convection, its impact on the large-scale environment, its dependence on surface temperature, and its implications for climate.
Self-aggregation generates significant humidity variability, dries the mean state, reduces high cloud cover, and increases the ability of the atmosphere to cool to space. Some studies find that convection is more self-aggregated at warmer temperatures but other studies, or other ways of measuring the degree of self-aggregation, disagree. There is not a simple, monotonic relationship between self-aggregation and surface temperature.
Self-aggregation, through its effect on the humidity distribution and radiative budget, can affect climate. However, there is uncertainty over how strong the modulation of climate by self-aggregation is, in part because of the ambiguity over its temperature dependence. There are some indications that self-aggregation may modestly reduce climate sensitivity even without a dramatic temperature dependence, but more research is needed to understand this behavior.
KeywordsSelf-aggregation Convective organization Radiative-convective equilibrium Climate sensitivity Cloud feedback Tropical convection
The author would like to thank Tobias Becker and David Coppin for providing data for Fig. 3 and Tim Cronin as well as two anonymous reviewers for constructive comments on the manuscript.
AAW acknowledges funding support from the National Science Foundation under Grant No. 1830724
Papers of particular interest, published recently, have been highlighted as: • Of importance •• Of major importance
- 2.Tompkins A, Craig G. Radiative-convective equilibrium in a three-dimensional cloud-ensemble model. Q J R Meteorol Soc. 1998;124:2073–97.Google Scholar
- 14.•• Wing AA, Cronin TW. Self-aggregation of convection in long channel geometry. Q J R Meteorol Soc. 2016;142:1–15. https://doi.org/10.1002/qj.2628. This paper examines the time scale, length scale, and physical mechanisms of self-aggregation in 3D cloud-resolving RCE channel simulations over a range of SSTs, as well as the impact of self-aggregation on the domain-mean.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.• Hohenegger C, Stevens B (2016) Coupled radiative convective equilibrium simulations with explicit and parameterized convection. J Adv Model Earth Sys 8. DOI https://doi.org/10.1002/2016MS000666. This paper e xamines the behavior of self-aggregation in coupled RCE simulations with explicit and parameterized convection and shows that self-aggregation stabilizes tropical climate.
- 17.Tompkins AM, Semie AG (2017) Organization of tropical convection in low vertical wind shears: role of updraft entrainment. J Adv Model Earth Syst 9. DOI https://doi.org/10.1002/2016MS000802.
- 18.Hohenegger C, Stevens B. The role of the permanent wilting point in controlling the spatial distribution of precipitation. Proc Natl Acad Sci. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1718842115.
- 21.Yang D. Boundary-layer diabatic processes, the virtual effect, and convective self-aggregation. J Adv Model Earth Syst. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1029/2017MS001261.
- 27.Reed KA, Medeiros B, Bacmeister JT, Lauritzen PH. Global radiative-convective equilibrium in the Community Atmosphere Model 5. J Atmos Sci. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1175/JAS-D-14-0268.1.
- 28.• Coppin D, Bony S. Physical mechanisms controlling the initiation of convective self-aggregation in a General Circulation Model. J Adv Model Earth Syst. 2015;7(4):2060–78. https://doi.org/10.1002/2015MS000571. This paper discusses the different physical mechanisms that drive self-aggregation at different SSTs, in RCE simulations with a GCM, as well as introduces the subsidence fraction metric for self-aggregation.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 32.Silvers LG, Stevens B, Mauritsen T, Giorgetta M. Radiative convective equilibrium as a framework for studying the interaction between convection and its large-scale environment. J Adv Model Earth Syst. 2016;8. https://doi.org/10.1002/2016MS000629.
- 33.• Becker T, Hohenegger C, Stevens B. Imprint of the convective parameterization and sea-surface temperature on large-scale convective self-aggregation. J Adv Model Earth Syst. 2017;9:1488–505. https://doi.org/10.1002/2016MS000865. This paper investigates the sensitivity of self-aggregation to convective parameterization and SST in RCE simulations with a GCM, and diagnoses the net climate feedback in simulations with strong or weak self-aggregation.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 34.• Coppin D, Bony S. Internal variability in a coupled general circulation model in radiative-convective equilibrium. Geophys Res Lett. 2017;44(10):5142–9. https://doi.org/10.1002/2017GL073658. This paper describes internal variability in RCE simulations with a coupled GCM that is driven by interactions between mean SST, SST gradients, and self-aggregation, and finds that self-aggregation is out of phase with SST on interannual time scales.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 37.Arnold NP, Randall DA. Global-scale convective aggregation: implications for the Madden-Julian Oscillation. J Adv Model Earth Syst. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1002/2015MS000498.
- 40.•• Wing AA, Emanuel K, Holloway CE, Muller C. Convective self-aggregation in numerical simulations: a review. Surv Geophys. 2017;38(6):1173–97. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10712-017-9408-4. This paper provides a comprehensive review of self-aggregation in numerical simulations, including its characteristics, driving physical mechanisms, and impacts.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 42.Beucler T, Cronin T, Emanuel K (2018) A linear response framework for radiative-convective instability. J Adv Model Earth Syst 10. DOI https://doi.org/10.1029/2018MS001280.
- 45.•• Holloway CE, Wing AA, Bony S, Muller C, Masunaga H, L’Ecuyer TS, et al. Observing convective aggregation. Surv Geophys. 2017;38:1199–236. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10712-017-9419-1. This paper provides a review of observational studies of processes related to self-aggregation, argues that modeled self-aggregation is relevant to real-world convection and climate, and proposes possible future directions for observational work related to self-aggregation.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 54.Muller CJ, Romps DM. Acceleration of tropical cyclogenesis by self-aggregation feedbacks. Proc Natl Acad Sci. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1719967115.
- 57.•• Cronin TW, Wing AA. Clouds, circulation, and climate sensitivity in a radiative-convective equilibrium channel model. J Adv Model Earth Syst. 2017;9:2833–905. https://doi.org/10.1002/2017MS001111. This paper investigates the sensitivity of the degree of self-aggregation, clouds, and circulation strength to SST in 3D cloud-resolving RCE channel simulations, as well as estimates the climate sensitivity (and its modulation by self-aggregation) across those simulations.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 59.Khairoutdinov MF, Emanuel KA (2010) Aggregation of convection and the regulation of tropical climate. Preprints. 29th Conference on Hurricanes and Tropical Meteorology pp Tucson, AZ, Amer. Meteorol. Soc., Tucson, AZ, Amer. Meteorol. Soc.Google Scholar
- 60.Mapes BE, Houze RA. Cloud clusters and superclusters over the oceanic warm pool. Mon Weather Rev. 1993;121(5):1398–416. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0493(1993)121<1398:CCASOT>2.0.CO;2.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 64.Machado LAT, Rossow WB. Structural characteristics and radiative properties of tropical cloud clusters. Mon Weather Rev. 1993;121(12):3234–60. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0493(1993)121<3234:SCARPO>2.0.CO;2.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 65.Hartmann DL, Hendon HH, Houze RA. Some implications of the mesoscale circulations in tropical cloud clusters for large-scale dynamics and climate. J Atmos Sci. 1984;41(1):113–21. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0469(1984)041<0113:SIOTMC>2.0.CO;2.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 69.Wing AA (2014) Physical mechanisms controlling self-aggregation of convection in idealized numerical modeling simulations. PhD thesis, MIT, Cambridge, MA, 146 pp.Google Scholar
- 72.• Stein THM, Holloway CE, Tobin I, Bony S. Observed relationships between cloud vertical structure and convective aggregation over tropical ocean. J Climate. 2017;30:2187–207. https://doi.org/10.1175/JCLI-D-16-0125.1. This paper examines relationships between cloud cover and convective aggregation in satellite observations, providing observational evidence for relationships found in numerical simulations.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 75.Beucler T, Cronin T. A budget for the size of convective self-aggregation. Q J R Meteorol Soc. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1002/qj.3468.
- 76.Coppin D, Bony S. On the interplay between convective aggregation, surface temperature gradients, and climate sensitivity. J Adv Model Earth Syst. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1029/2018MS001406.
- 80.Yokoi S, Sobel AH. Seasonal march and intraseasonal variability of the moist static energy budet over the eastern Maritime Continent during CINDY2001/DYNAMO. J Meteor Soc Japan. 2015. https://doi.org/10.2151/jmsj.2015-041.