Callose accumulation in roots of soybean seedlings under water deficit
- 38 Downloads
Callose is cell wall constitutive component of some plant tissues and it is synthesized and deposited in response to stresses (abiotic and biotic). Considering physiological seed quality as an attribute that determines the rapid and uniform emergence of seedlings under a wide range of environmental conditions, this study verified the callose accumulation in seedling roots of soybean cultivars showing contrasting seed vigor under water deficit. Six soybean cultivars were used and the physiological seed quality was determined by germination and vigor tests. Water deficit simulation was performed by germination tests with polyethylene glycol solution at − 0.4 MPa, and the control (0.0 MPa; deionized water). 24 h after radicle protrusion, three samples of 13 root tips were prepared for callose determination. The cultivar ‘BMX Potência RR’ presented lower germination (87%) when compared to the other cultivars. Vigor results allowed the separation of cultivars into two vigor categories, high and low. The callose concentration deposited on soybean root tissues ranged from 0.0511 to 0.1244 μg per root tip. This allowed the observation of the contrast in callose accumulation between the cultivars during the water deficit, and this is responsive to the greater susceptibility of low vigor cultivars to stress in order to isolate plant tissue through the deposition of a physical barrier. Callose accumulation can be used as indicative of susceptibility to water stress in soybean cultivars.
KeywordsGlycine max β-Glucan Vigor Abiotic stress
NCME-B acknowledges the Programa Nacional de Pós-Doutorado/Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior (PNPD/Capes-Brazil) for a Post-Doc fellowship granted. CMMC and CAS acknowledge Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico (CNPq-Brazil, Universal e Produtividade), Capes/Proap, UDESC/FAPESC (2018/TR653), UDESC/PIC, UDESC/PROMOP for the financial support.
NCME-B and VM conducted the research project, prepared samples for biochemical investigations, made statistical analyses, and wrote the manuscript. CMMC contributed to the discussion and revised the manuscript. CAS guided the planning of the research project, contributed to the discussion and revised the manuscript. All authors read and approved the manuscript.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that there is no conflict of interest regarding the publication of this article.
- Brasil. Ministério da Agricultura, Pecuária e Abastecimento (2009) Regras para Análise de Sementes (RAS). MAPA/ACS, BrasíliaGoogle Scholar
- Ehrhardt-Brocardo NCM, Coelho CMM (2016) Hydration patterns and physiologic quality of common bean seeds. Semina: Ciênc Agrár 37:1791–1800Google Scholar
- Han Z, Bin W, Zhang J, Guo S, Zhang H, Xu L, Chen Y (2018) Mapping of QTLs associated with seed vigor to artificial aging using two ril populations in maize (Zea mays L.). Agric Sci 9:397–415Google Scholar
- Kavan HC, Catão HCRM, Caixeta F, Rocha CS, Castilho IM (2019) Accelerated aging periods and its effects on electric conductivity of popcorn seeds. Revista de Ciências Agrárias 42:40–48Google Scholar
- Marcos-Filho J (2015b) Fisiologia de sementes de plantas cultivadas. ABRATES, LondrinaGoogle Scholar
- Prazeres CS, Coelho CMM (2017) Hydration curve and physiological quality of maize seeds subjected to water deficit. Semina: Ciênc Agrár 38:1179–1186Google Scholar
- Sivaguru M, Fujiwara T, Samaj J, Baluska F, Yang Z, Osawa H, Maeda T, Mori T, Volkmann D, Matsumoto H (2000) Aluminum-induced 1 → 3-beta-d-glucan inhibits cell-to-cell trafficking of molecules through plasmodesmata. A new mechanism of aluminum toxicity in plants. Plant Physiol 124:991–1006CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- R Core Team (2019) R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. https://www.R-project.org/
- Villela FA, Doni Filho L, Sequeira EL (1991) Tabela de potencial osmótico em função da concentração de polietileno glicol 6.000 e da temperatura. Pesqui Agropecu Bras 26:1957–1968Google Scholar