Review of Behavioral Principles in Communicative Disorders by Maul, Findley, and Adams
- 75 Downloads
The American Speech–Language–Hearing Association (2016) charges speech–language pathologists (SLPs) with treating a wide variety of communication disorders and impairments. Because all communication is behavior, it is only logical for a text whose primary audience is SLPs to focus on principles of behavior, including their applications in assessing and treating communication challenges. Behavioral Principles in Communicative Disorders, by Maul, Findley, and Adams (2016), attempts to bridge the fields of speech–language pathology and applied behavior analysis (ABA) by providing a comprehensive overview of Skinner’s behaviorism, the principles of behavior, and ABA-based strategies for improving client outcomes.
Does the Field Need a New Book on Behavioral Principles for SLPs?
- Alberto, P. A., & Troutman, A. C. (2013). Applied behavior analysis for teachers (9th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson.Google Scholar
- American Speech–Language–Hearing Association. (2016). Scope of practice in speech language pathology. Rockville, MD: Author.Google Scholar
- Cooper, J. O., Heron, T. E., & Heward, W. L. (2007). Applied behavior analysis. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- Frost, L., & Bondy, A. (2002). The picture exchange communication system training manual. Newark, DE: Pyramid Educational Products.Google Scholar
- Ganz, J. B., Davis, J. L., Lund, E. M., Goodwyn, F. D., & Simpson, R. L. (2012). Meta-analysis of PECS with individuals with ASD: investigation of targeted versus non-targeted outcomes, participant characteristics, and implementation phase. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 33, 406–418.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kelly, A., & Tincani, M. (2013). Collaborative training and practice among applied analysts who support individuals with autism spectrum disorder. Education and Training in Autism and Developmental Disabilities, 48, 120–131.Google Scholar
- Maul, C. A., Findley, B. R., & Adams, N. A. (2016). Behavioral principles in communicative disorders. San Diego, CA: Plural Publishing.Google Scholar
- Mayer, G. R., Sulzer-Azaroff, B., & Wallace, M. (2012). Behavior analysis for lasting change (2nd ed.). Cornwall-on-Hudson, NY: Sloan.Google Scholar
- Sundberg, M. L. (2008). Verbal Behavior Milestones Assessment and Placement Program (VB–MAPP). Concord, CA: AVB Press.Google Scholar