Introducing a Structural Competency Framework for Psychiatry Residents: Drawing Your Neighborhood
Training medical students and residents to address the social determinants shaping the health of their patients is a key component in reducing health disparities [1, 2]. The World Health Organization recognizes differences in community resources as major contributors to health inequality  and impacts emotional well-being and mental health . Yet, while physicians understand these factors significantly impact their patient’s health, many feel ill-equipped to intervene, contributing to frustration and burnout .
To empower physicians to address social determinants of health, medical educators have begun incorporating structural competency (SC) into training. Developed by two psychiatrists, Metzl and Hansen, SC starts with understanding how structures—the large-scale organization of social, economic, and political power—impact health downstream . It bridges research on social determinants of health to practical clinical interventions, building tools to recognize and act on...
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Deemed exempt from IRB review by the Yale Human Investigation Committee.
On behalf of all authors, the corresponding author states that there is no conflict of interest.
- 3.About social determinants of health. World Health Organization. 2018. http://www.who.int/social_determinants/sdh_definition/en/. Accessed 13 Apr 2018.
- 4.Compton MT, Shim RS. The social determinants of mental health. Arlington: American Psychiatric Association; 2015.Google Scholar
- 5.Goldstein D, Holmes J. 2011 Physicians’ daily life report. Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. 2011. https://www.rwjf.org/content/dam/web-assets/2011/11/2011-physicians%2D%2Ddaily-life-report. Accessed 14 Apr 2018.
- 10.Boler M. Feeling power: emotions and education. New York: Routledge; 1999.Google Scholar
- 11.Knowles MS. Andragogy in action. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass; 1984.Google Scholar
- 12.Mapping Resources. National geographic Society. 2018. https://www.nationalgeographic.org/education/mapping . Accessed 13 Apr 2018.
- 13.Community Map Making. Feet First. 2010. http://www.feetfirst.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Services_How-To-Kits_Community-Map-Making-Handbook.pdf. Accessed 13 Apr 2018.
- 16.The eight dimensions of wellness. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. 2017. https://www.samhsa.gov/wellness-initiative/eight-dimensions-wellness. Accessed 1 Nov 2018.
- 17.Bromage B, Encandela JA, Cranford M, et al. Understanding health disparities through the eyes of community members: a structural competency education intervention. Acad Psychiatry. 2018; in press.Google Scholar
- 18.Toom A. Students-enthusiasts in online classes: their contribution to the educational process. IAFOR J Edu. 2015;3(2):126–40.Google Scholar