Race, Ethnicity, and Culture in the Medical Record: Implicit Bias or Patient Advocacy?
Medical student 1: “A 32-year-old male presented to the emergency room by police escort for erratic behavior. Collateral from law enforcement reported that the patient was hostile and aggressive toward others in the facility at which he lives, and the patient reported experiencing auditory hallucinations to harm others.”
Medical student 2: “A 25-year-old African American male presented to the emergency room for making homicidal threats toward others. He was brought in by emergency medical services, and overnight there was concern that he was experiencing auditory hallucinations and responding to internal stimuli.”
The clinical vignettes reported from the medical students identify two patients with similar presentations: hostility, aggression, and homicidality in the context of psychosis. However, subtle differences occur between...
Compliance with Ethical Standards
On behalf of all authors, the corresponding author states that there is no conflict of interest.
- 2.Cognitive Biases in Healthcare. The Joint Commission-Quick Safety (28) 1–3. 2016. Retrieved from https://www.jointcommission.org/assets/1/23/Quick_Safety_Issue_28_Oct_2016.pdf. Accessed 1/20/19.
- 13.Coleman KJ, Stewart C, Waitzfelder BE, Zeber JE, Morales LS, Ahmed AT, et al. Racial/ethnic differences in diagnoses and treatment of mental health conditions across healthcare systems participating in the mental health research network. Psychiatr Serv (Washington, DC). 2016;67(7):749–57.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Kramer EJ, Kwong K, Lee E, Chung H. Cultural factors influencing the mental health of Asian Americans. West J Med. 2002;176(4):227–31.Google Scholar
- 30.Multi-racial in America: Proud, Diverse, and Growing in Numbers. Pew Research Center. 2015. Retrieved from: http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2015/06/11/multiracial-in-america/. Accessed 1/20/19.
- 35.Njenga F. The concept of mental disorder: an African perspective. World Psychiatry. 2007;6(3):166–7.Google Scholar
- 36.ProjectImplicit. Retrieved from https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/education.html. Accessed 1/20/19.