A Unified Model of Behavioral Health Integration in Primary Care
Compliance with Ethical Standards
This commentary was composed and written in compliance with all ethical standards and considerations.
On behalf of all authors, the corresponding author states that there is no conflict of interest to disclose.
- 2.Melek SP, Norris DT, Paulus J. Economic impact of integrated medical-behavioral health: implications for psychiatry. Denver: American Psychiatric Association 2013; 2014.Google Scholar
- 4.Jackson GL, Powers BJ, Chatterjee R, Bettger JP, Kemper AR, Hasselblad V, et al. The patient-centered medical home: a systematic review. Annu Intern Med. 2013;158(3):169–78. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-158-3-201302050-00579.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Bradley KA, Ludman EJ, Chavez LJ, Bobb JF, Ruedebusch SJ, Achtmeyer CE et al. Patient-centered primary care for adults at high risk for AUDs: the choosing healthier drinking options in primary CarE (CHOICE) trial. Addict Sci Clin Pract 2017;12(1):15. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13722-017-0080-2.
- 7.Coventry PA, Hudson JL, Kontopantelis E, Archer J, Richards DA, Gilbody S, et al. Characteristics of effective collaborative care for treatment of depression: a systematic review and meta-regression of 74 randomised controlled trials. PLoS One. 2014;9(9):e108114. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0108114.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 14.Scott C, Mendez-Shannon CE. Behavioral health provider essentials. Integrated care: a guide for effective implementation. Arlington: American Psychiatric Association Publishing; 2017. p. 91–125.Google Scholar
- 16.McNeely J, Strauss SM, Wright S, Rotrosen J, Khan R, Lee JD, et al. Test-retest reliability of a self-administered alcohol, smoking and substance involvement screening test (ASSIST) in primary care patients. J Subst Abus Treat. 2014;47(1):93–101. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsat.2014.01.007.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Khayal IS, McGovern MP, Bruce ML, Bartels SJ. Developing an integrated behavioral health system model using engineering design. Paper presented at Industrial and Systems Engineering Conference, May 23, 2017, Pittsburgh, PA.Google Scholar
- 20.Reiss-Brennan B, Brunisholz KD, Dredge C, Briot P, Grazier K, Wilcox A, et al. Association of integrated team-based care with health care quality, utilization, and cost. JAMA Intern Med. 2016;316(8):826–34.Google Scholar
- 21.Lasky GB. Organizational leadership and culture change. Integrated care: a guide for effective implementation. Arlington: American Psychiatric Association Publishing; 2017. p. 37–59.Google Scholar
- 22.Lasky GB. Team development and culture integrated care: a guide for effective implementation. Arlington: American Psychiatric Association Publishing; 2017. p. 61–87.Google Scholar
- 23.van Eeghen C, Kessler R, Littenberg B. Chronic care coordination by integrating care through a team-based, population-driven approach: a case study. Transl Behav Med. 2018;in press.Google Scholar
- 25.Solberg LI, Crain AL, Jaeckels N, Ohnsorg KA, Margolis KL, Beck A, et al. The DIAMOND initiative: implementing collaborative care for dpression in 75 primary care clinics. Implement Sci. 2013;8(1) https://doi.org/10.1186/1748-5908-8-135.
- 26.Peek CJ, The National Integration Academy Council. Lexicon for behavioral health and primary care integration: concepts and definitions developed by expert consensus. Rockville: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; 2013. http://integrationacademy.ahrq.gov/sites/default/files/Lexicon/pdf. Accessed 9 Jan 2018.
- 29.Korthuis PT, McCarty D, Weimer M, Bougatsos C, Blazina I, Zakher B, et al. Primary care-based models for the treatment of opioid use disorder. Ann Intern Med. 2016;Google Scholar
- 31.Nordstrom BR, Saunders EC, McLeman B, Meier A, Xie H, Lambert-Harris C, et al. Using a learning collaborative strategy with office-based practices to increase access and improve quality of care for patients with opioid use disorders. J Addict Med. 2016;10(2):117–23. https://doi.org/10.1097/ADM.0000000000000200.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
© Academic Psychiatry 2018