Periodontal Diseases/Treatment and Bisphosphonates
- 75 Downloads
Purpose of Review
Host response against bacteria or their toxins eventually play a major role in alveolar bone destruction observed in periodontitis. Because of the role in bone resorption, bisphosphonates were applied as adjunct to non-surgical therapy. This review highlights the effects of bisphosphonates on clinical parameters as adjunct to periodontal treatment.
Significant clinical and radiographic effects were observed in animal and human study models. In recent studies, local usage of the bisphosphonate gels was examined in periodontitis patients to prevent the systemic side effects. The mean pocket depth reduction, clinical attachment level gain, and the percentage of defect depth reduction were greater in bisphosphonate group.
Bisphosphonates appear to be effective in improving clinical outcomes of periodontal treatment. However, the clinical relevance still remains controversial because of the differences in methodology in the studies. New evidences from high-quality clinical trials are required to clear the clinical application of bisphosphonates as adjunct to non-surgical periodontal treatment in periodontitis.
KeywordsPeriodontitis Bisphosphonates Non-surgical periodontal therapy
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
Human and Animal Rights and Informed Consent
This article does not contain any studies with human or animal subjects performed by any of the authors.
Papers of particular interest, published recently, have been highlighted as: • Of importance •• Of major importance
- 2.Page RC, Offenbacher S, Schroeder HE, et al. Advances in the pathogenesis of periodontitis: summary of developments, clinical implications and future directions. Periodontol. 1997;14(1):216–48. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0757.1997.tb00199.x.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.de Oliveira RR, Schwartz-Filho HO, Novaes AB Jr, Garlet GP, de Freitas Souza R, Taba M Jr, et al. Antimicrobial photodynamic therapy in the non-surgical treatment of aggressive periodontitis: cytokine profile in gingival crevicular fluid, preliminary results. J Periodontol. 2009;80(1):98–105. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2009.070465.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Darveau RP, Tanner A, Page RC. The microbial challenge in periodontitis. Periodontol. 1997;14(1):12–32. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0757.1997.tb00190.x.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Tani-Ishii N, Minamida G, Saitoh D, Chieda K, Omuro H, Sugaya A, et al. Inhibitory effects of incadronate on the progression of rat experimental periodontitis by Porphyromonas gingivalis infection. J Periodontol. 2003;74(5):603–9. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2003.74.5.603.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Rogers MJ, Gordon S, Benford HL, Coxon FP, Luckman SP, Monkkonen J, et al. Cellular and molecular mechanisms of action of bisphosphonates. Cancer. 2000;88(12):2961–78. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(20000615)88:12+<2961::AID-CNCR12>3.0.CO;2-L.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 17.Hillner BE, Ingle JN, Berenson JR, Janjan NA, Albain KS, Lipton A, et al. American Society of Clinical Oncology guideline on the role of bisphosphonates in breast cancer. American Society of Clinical Oncology Bisphosphonates Expert Panel. J Clin Oncol. 2000;18(6):1378–91. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2000.18.6.1378.
- 18.Rosen LS, Gordon D, Tchekmedyian S, Yanagihara R, Hirsh V, Krzakowski M, et al. Zoledronic acid versus placebo in the treatment of skeletal metastases in patients with lung cancer and other solid tumors: a phase III, double-blind, randomized trial-the Zoledronic Acid Lung Cancer and Other Solid Tumors Study Group. J Clin Oncol. 2003;21(16):3150–7. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2003.04.105.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 33.Buduneli E, Buduneli N, Vardar-Sengül S, Kardeşler L, Atilla G, Lappin D, et al. Systemic low-dose doxycycline and alendronate administration and serum interleukin-1 beta, osteocalcin, and C-reactive protein levels in rats. J Periodontol. 2005;76(11):1927–33. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2005.76.11.1927.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 34.Buduneli E, Vardar-Sengül S, Buduneli N, Atilla G, Wahlgren J, Sorsa T. Matrix metalloproteinases, tissue inhibitor of matrix metalloproteinase-1, and laminin-5 gamma2 chain immunolocalization in gingival tissue of endotoxin-induced periodontitis in rats: effects of low-dose doxycycline and alendronate. J Periodontol. 2007;78(1):127–34. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2007.050451.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 35.Bhavsar NV, Trivedi SR, Dulani K, Brahmbhatt N, Shah S, Chaudhri D. Clinical and radiographic evaluation of effect of risedronate 5 mg as an adjunct to treatment of chronic periodontitis in postmenopausal women. Osteoporos Int. 2016;27(8):2611–9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00198-016-3577-8.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 36.Grgić O, Kovačev-Zavišić B, Veljović T, Novaković-Paro J, Maravić T, Bajkin B. The influence of bone mineral density and bisphosphonate therapy on the determinants of oral health and changes on dental panoramic radiographs in postmenopausal women. Clin Oral Investig. 2017;21(1):151–7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00784-016-1767-6.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 38.Palomo L, Bissada NF, Liu J. Periodontal assessment of postmenopausal women receiving risedronate. Menopause. 2005;12(6):685–90. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.gme.0000184421.50696.34.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 39.Lane N, Armitage GC, Loomer P, Hsieh S, Majumdar S, Wang HY, et al. Bisphosphonate therapy improves the outcome of conventional periodontal treatment: results of a 12-month, randomized, placebo-controlled study. J Periodontol. 2005;76(7):1113–22. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2005.76.7.1113.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 41.Mostafa B, Hamdy E, Nasif N. Combined effect of systemic bisphosphonates, calcium and vitamin D on alveolar bone in osteoporotic postmenopausal females having chronic periodontitis following surgical periodontal therapy. Life Sci J. 2012;9:613–22.Google Scholar
- 47.• Pradeep AR, Kumari M, Rao NS, Naik SB. 1% alendronate gel as local drug delivery in the treatment of class II furcation defects: a randomized controlled clinical trial. J Periodontol. 2013;84(3):307–315. First study in the treatment of class II furcation defects with local bisphosphate gel. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2012.110729.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 48.• Sharma A, Pradeep AR. Clinical efficacy of 1% alendronate gel in adjunct to mechanotherapy in the treatment of aggressive periodontitis: a randomized controlled clinical trial. J Periodontol. 2012;83(1):19–26. First study in the treatment of aggressive periodontitis with local bisphosphate gel. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2011.110206.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 49.• Sharma A, Pradeep AR. Clinical efficacy of 1% alendronate gel as a local drug delivery system in the treatment of chronic periodontitis: a randomized, controlled clinical trial. J Periodontol. 2012;83(1):11–18. First study in the treatment of chronic periodontitis with local bisphosphate gel. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2011.110091.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 50.Pradeep AR, Sharma A, Rao NS, Bajaj P, Naik SB, Kumari M. Local drug delivery of alendronate gel for the treatment of patients with chronic periodontitis with diabetes mellitus: a double-masked controlled clinical trial. J Periodontol. 2012;83(10):1322–8. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2012.110292.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 52.Pradeep AR, Kanoriya D, Singhal S, et al. Comparative evaluation of subgingivally delivered 1% alendronate versus 1.2% atorvastatin gel in treatment of chronic periodontitis: a randomized placebo-controlled clinical trial. J Investig Clin Dent. 2017;8(3):e12215. https://doi.org/10.1111/jicd.12215.
- 59.Tengvall P, Skoglund B, Askendal A, Aspenberg P. Surface immobilized bisphosphonate improves stainless-steel screw fixation in rats. Biomaterials. 2004;25(11):2133–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biomaterials.2003.08.049.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 63.Zuffetti F, Testori T, Capelli M, Rossi MC, del Fabbro M. The topical administration of bisphosphonates in implant surgery: a randomized split-mouth prospective study with a follow-up up to 5 years. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2015;17:e168–76. https://doi.org/10.1111/cid.12151.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 64.Hiltunen AK, Skogman ME, Rosenqvist K et al. Bioactive glass combined with bisphosphonates provides protection against biofilms formed by the periodontal pathogen Aggregatibacter actinomycetemcomitans Int J Pharm. 2016;501:211–20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpharm.2016.02.006