Nutritional Approach in Tropical Sprue Patients
- 21 Downloads
Purpose of Review
Tropical sprue (TS) is known to be a common malabsorption syndrome in tropical countries. The objective of the present review is to determine whether if there is new evidence for a specific nutritional approach for TS, since the management remains the same from several years ago and the treatment can also be confounded by other conditions such as celiac disease, tropical enteropathy, and parasitic infections.
Tropical sprue accounts for a large proportion of cases of malabsorption in South Asia. Since tropical sprue requires a specific test for its diagnosis, it could have been mistaken with other conditions. However, epidemics of tropical sprue have not been reported.
TS has been thought to be uncommon in the last decades. Still, more studies are needed to determine whether if TS is uncommon in tropical countries or has been undiagnosed since TS can overlap between other malabsorption syndromes or celiac disease. However, to better understand about tropical sprue, more research is needed, focused on epidemiology, etiology, differential diagnosis and treatment, and nutritional approaches.
KeywordsTropical sprue Nutritional approach Malabsorption syndrome Folic acid
Compliance with Ethics Guidelines
Conflict of Interest
Stefanie Knebusch Toriello declares that she has no conflict of interest.
Human and Animal Rights and Informed Consent
This article does not contain any studies with human or animal subjects performed by any of the authors.
Papers of particular interest, published recently, have been highlighted as: • Of importance •• Of major importance
- 1.• Pipaliya N, Ingle M, Rathi C, Poddar P, Pandav N, Sawant P. Spectrum of chronic small bowel diarrhea with malabsorption in Indian subcontinent: is the trend really changing? Intest Res. 2016;14(1):75–82. https://doi.org/10.5217/ir.2016.14.1.75. Actual review of malabsorption in India, showing presence of TS. CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 2.•• Ghoshal U, Srivastava D, Verma A, Ghoshal U. Tropical sprue in 2014: the new face of an old disease. Current Gastroenterology Reports. 2014;16(6):391. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11894-014-0391-3. Review of tropical sprue with new information.
- 4.•• Ramakrishna B. Tropical diarrhea and malabsorption. In: Sleisenger M, Fordtran J, Feldman M, Brandt L, Friedman L, editors. Sleisenger and Fordtran’s gastrointestinal and liver disease. 10th ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier; 2016. Review of tropical sprue. Google Scholar
- 6.Klipstein F. Regarding the definition of tropical sprue. Gastroenterology. 1970;58(5):717–21.Google Scholar
- 7.Bartholomew C. William Hillary and sprue in the Caribbean: 230 years later. Gut. 1989;30:17–21.Google Scholar
- 8.Manson P. Notes on sprue. In: China, imperial maritime customs, special series no 2, medical reports for the half year ended 31 March 1880. Shanghai: Statistical Department of the Inspectorate General. 1880:33–7.Google Scholar
- 10.Mathan M, Mathan V, Baker S. An electron-microscopic study of jejunal mucosal morphology in control. Subjects and in patients with tropical sprue in southern India. Gastroenterology. 1975;68(1):17–32.Google Scholar
- 11.Dutta AK, Balekuduru A, Chacko A. Spectrum of malabsorption in India – tropical sprue is still the leader. J Assoc Physicians India. 2011;59:420–422.Google Scholar
- 13.• Alvarez JJ, Zaga-Galante J, Vergara-Suarez A, Randall CW. Tropical sprue. J Trop Dis. 2014;02(01) https://doi.org/10.4172/2329-891x.1000130. Review of TS and treatment.
- 18.•• Nath S. Tropical sprue. Current Gastroenterology Reports. 2005;7(5):343–9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11894-005-0002-4 Major importance review of tropical sprue.
- 23.Carneiro F, Chaves P, Ensari A. Pathology of the gastrointestinal tract. Encyclopedia of Pathology of the gastrointestinal tract. Springer International Publishing; 2017. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-40560-5.
- 28.Chidambaram Y, Mambatta A, Sivaraj S. Tropical sprue in megaloblastic anemia. J Res Med Sci. 2017;5(9):4133.Google Scholar
- 29.Saboor M, Zehra A, Qamar K. Disorders associated with malabsorption of iron; a critical review. Pak J Med Sci. 2016;31(6) https://doi.org/10.12669/pjms.316.8125.
- 30.Perveen I, Hasan M, Kibria G, Rahman M. Tropical sprue (TS); experience in a tertiary care hospital. J Bangladesh Coll Phys Surg. 2011;29(1). https://doi.org/10.3329/jbcps.v29i1.7166.