Linearization of embedded patterns for optimization of structural natural frequencies
- 14 Downloads
The dynamic characteristics of structures (beams and plates) can be significantly changed by embossing small out-of-plane patterns in these structures. Recent results in literature show, both numerically and experimentally, that shaping a beam in the geometry of its first mode shape significantly increases the value of the first natural frequency of the beam. This phenomenon also occurs when the beam is shaped in the geometry of other mode shapes, and in the case of plates. This work presents new results (numerical and experimental) regarding the linearization of the forms to be imposed to the structure, focusing on shapes composed of straight regions, which would ease the design of stamping tools for example. The results show that the use of straight regions in the geometry of the beams (linear embossed pattern) has a similar effect to that obtained with curved shapes but requiring bigger distances to the baseline (higher shaping deformations). It is also shown that the linearized shapes can be used to optimize the shape of a beam for desired natural frequencies.
KeywordsEmbedded pattern Natural frequency Mechanical vibration Linearization
This project was supported by Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico—CNPq (Brazil) under Grant No. 301118/2018-3.
- 1.Arora JS (1989) Introduction to optimum design. Mc-Graw Hill, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 10.Choi SH, Kim SR, Park JY, Han SY (2007) Multi-objective optimization of the inner reinforcement for a vehicle hood considering static stiffness and natural frequency. Int J Autom Technol 8:337–342 http://www.ijat.net/journal/view.php?number=428
- 11.Dong G (2015) Topology optimization for the natural frequency of multibody dynamics systems with multi-functional components. In: ASME 2015 international design engineering technical conferences and computers and information in engineering conference IDETC/CIE 2015, Boston MA, US, August 2–5, DETC2015-47891. https://doi.org/10.1115/DETC2015-47891
- 14.Fredö CR, Hedlung A (2005) NVH optimization of truck cab floor panel embossing pattern. SAE technical paper 2005-01-2342. https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2342
- 16.Thomson WT, Dahleh MD (1998) Theory of vibration with applications. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle RiverGoogle Scholar
- 17.Maia NMM, Silva JMM (1997) Theoretical and experimental modal analysis. Research Studies Press Ltd, TauntonGoogle Scholar