Design and assembling of a magnetic circuit for a thermomagnetic motor apparatus
- 78 Downloads
A thermomagnetic motor operates due to magnetization variation of magnetic materials around their transition or Curie temperature. The main components of these motors are the magnetic material (MM) and the magnetic circuit (MC). If the MM presents the transition temperature around room temperature, it may have potential to be used in thermomagnetic motors. Based on the current state-of-the-art, several first- and second-order transition magnetic materials with Curie temperature of 20 °C and above are known, and some of them present high magnetocaloric effect. The MC is responsible to guarantee a high magnetic field region which magnetically interacts with the MM. This way, the main objective of the present paper is the design and assembly of a double-C permanent magnet magnetic circuit, as part of a novel thermomagnetic motor design. Several 2D and 3D simulations were performed using COMSOL Multiphysics V5.3, which is a finite element analysis software for multiphysics simulation. Based on the simulation results, the MC was designed and built. After the construction, simulation results for magnetic field intensity and profiles along the transversal and axial directions were compared with experimental measurements, and a good agreement was verified.
KeywordsTesla motor Magnetic circuit Magnetization NdFeB Simulation
This study was made possible by the financial investment from INCT-RT - National Institutes of Science and Technology - Refrigeration and Thermophysics through Grant of National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq 465448/2014-3). The authors also thank Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior - Brasil (CAPES), Finance Code 001 and National Council for Scientific and Technological Development – CNPq, though Grant No. 455760/2014-4, for financial support.
- 1.Edison TA (1888) Pyromagnetic motor. US Patent 380100Google Scholar
- 2.Tesla N (1889) Termo-magnetic motor. US Patent 396121Google Scholar
- 6.Gutfleisch O, Gottschall T, Fries M, Benke D, Radulov I, Skokov KP, Wende H, Gruner M, Acet M, Entel P, Farle M (2016) Mastering hystereis in magnetocaloric materials. Philos Trans A Math Phys Eng Sci 13:374Google Scholar
- 7.Barclay JA, Steyert WA (1982) Active magnetic regenerator. US Patent 4332135Google Scholar
- 9.Christiaanse T, Brück E (2013) Proof of concept static thermomagnetic generator experimental device. Metall Mater Trans E 1:36–40Google Scholar
- 14.Kaneko G, Trevizoli P, Souza A, Moro F, Colman F, Conceição W, Alves C (2018) Design and assembling of a magnetic circuit for a thermomagnetic motor apparatus. In: Brazilian congress of thermal sciences and engineeringGoogle Scholar
- 15.Schäfer B (2016) Development of a Magnetocaloric test apparatus. Master Thesis, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, MunichGoogle Scholar
- 16.COMSOLMultiphysics (2011) http://www.comsol.com/
- 17.Kaneko G (2019) Projeto e Construção de um Motor Termomagnético Tipo Tesla. Master Thesis, State University of Maringá, BrazilGoogle Scholar
- 18.Holman JP (2006) Experimental methods for engineers, 8th edn. McGraw-Hill, New YorkGoogle Scholar