A semi-analytical model for evaluation of effective thermal conductivity of composites with periodic microstructure
- 58 Downloads
This paper presents a semi-analytical micromechanical model for evaluation of effective thermal conductivity of composite materials with periodic microstructure. The model is based on the equivalent inclusion thermal problem and utilizes Fourier series for representation of periodic functions involved in the material homogenization approach. Two main objectives can be highlighted in the work. The first of them is the derivation of the thermal micromechanical model, which consists in an extension of a formulation originally derived for homogenization of elastic heterogeneous solids. The second objective consists in a detailed investigation on the performance of the model, considering convergence of results and efficiency of strategies employed for the approximate solution of the thermal homogenization problem. Analyses on the complexity of transformation temperature gradient functions are also included in this investigation. The results obtained for two examples of periodic composites with different microstructural architectures are presented and discussed in detail.
KeywordsThermal conductivity Periodic composites Fourier series Homogenization
The authors acknowledge the support provided by the Brazilian National Council for Scientific and Technological Development - CNPq to develop this work.
- 1.Oppelt T, Urbaneck T, Böhme H, Platzer B (2017) Numerical investigation of effective thermal conductivity for two-phase composites using a discrete model. Appl Therm Eng 115:1–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2016.12.130 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Gou J-J, Gong C-L, Gu L-X, Li S, Tao W-Q (2017) Unit cells of composites with symmetric structures for the study of effective thermal properties. Appl Therm Eng 126:602–619. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2017.07.162 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Lee Y-M, Yang R-B, Gau S-S (2006) A generalized self-consistent method for calculation of effective thermal conductivity of composites with interfacial contact conductance. Int Commun Heat Mass Transf 33(2):142–150. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.icheatmasstransfer.2005.10.004 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Bonfoh N, Dreistadt C, Sabar H (2017) Micromechanical modeling of the anisotropic thermal conductivity of ellipsoidal inclusion-reinforced composite materials with weakly conducting interfaces. Int J Heat Mass Transf 108:1727–1739. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2016.12.008 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Bonfoh N, Sabar H (2018) Anisotropic thermal conductivity of composites with ellipsoidal inclusions and highly conducting interfaces. Int J Heat Mass Transf 118:498–509. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2017.10.103 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Le Quang H, Phan T-L, Bonnet G (2011) Effective thermal conductivity of periodic composites with highly conducting imperfect interfaces. Int J Therm Sci 50(8):1428–1444. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijthermalsci.2011.03.009 CrossRefGoogle Scholar