The influence of tool geometry and process parameters on joined sheets by clinching
- 55 Downloads
In this work, the process of clinching was studied through practical experiments and also by computer simulation using finite element method (FEM). The influence of different joint geometries and process parameters on the strength of joints joined by clinching was studied. Subsequently, a practical study with the aim of comparing its results with FEM results was carried out. It was possible to observe that the geometry of the clinching tool and the choice of process parameters influence the interlocking strength. FEM simulations showed similar results to the practical experiments and also avoided the manufacture of different tools and the accomplishment of several experiments.
KeywordsJoining Clinching Computational simulation Manufacturing
The authors would like to thank ArcelorMittal company for supplying the steels used in this study and also to CNPQ for the financial support.
- 6.Lajarin SF, Tenorio MB (2015) Simulação por elementos finitos da infuência da geometria de ferramenta na união por clinching, 8° COBEF Salvador, Bahia, Brasil (Portuguese) Google Scholar
- 13.Chen C, Zhao S, Han X, Cui M, Fan S (2016) Investigation of the height-reducing method for clinched joint with Al5052 and Al6061. Int J Adv Manuf Technol 89(5–8):1–8Google Scholar
- 22.Lee C-J, Kim J-Y, Lee S-K, Ko D-C, Kim B-M (2010) Parametric study on mechanical clinching process for joining aluminum alloy and high-strength steel sheets. J Mater Process Technol 24(1):123–126Google Scholar
- 24.Caron FAZ, Rocha DR, Tenorio MB, Lajarin SF, Marcondes PVP (2014) Influencia dos parâmetros de processo e ferramenta na união de chapas metálicas por abotoamento (clinching). In: 1° Congresso Brazilian Deep Drawing Research Group, 2014, Porto Alegre. (In Portuguese) Google Scholar
- 25.ABAQUS (2012) Theory manuals version 6.12, Hibbit, Karlsson and Sorensen Inc., RI, USAGoogle Scholar