Dental fear and its determinants in 7–11-year-old children in Tehran, Iran
- 17 Downloads
To assess dental fear and its determinants in 7–11-year-old children.
In this cross-sectional (descriptive-analytical) study, the standard Persian version of the Children’s Fear Survey Schedule-Dental Subscale (CFSS-DS) questionnaire was completed by 240 parent–child (children aged 7–11 years) pairs referred to dental clinics in Tehran city, Iran. Background characteristics were also inquired.
An equal number of boys and girls participated in the study. The mean score of fear among the children was 21.66 ± 8.33. The causes of fear among the children were, first, injection, and then, seeing the dentist’s drill, choking feeling, and finally, filling the tooth. There was a significant correlation between the scores of children’s dental fear and their experience of meeting with the dentist (p = 0.001). The result of the regression test showed that the age of the children (p = 0.022) and high levels of dental fear among their fathers (p < 0.001) was related to high levels of dental fear among the children.
The present children revealed a moderate level of dental fear. Taking children’s age into account in behavioural management and challenging father's fear seemed to play a key role to reduce the child’s fear and prevent its long-term consequences.
KeywordsFear Dentistry Child CFSS-DS Questionnaire Oral health
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Brand A. Some sources of childrens’ fears in the dental situation. J Dent Assoc South Afr. 1976;31(1):5–8.Google Scholar
- Cuthbert M. A screening device: children at risk for dental fears and management problems. J Dent Child. 1982;49:432–6.Google Scholar
- McDonald RE, Avery DR, Stookey GK, Chin JR, Kowolik JE. (2011). Dental caries in the child and adolescent. McDonald and Avery Dentistry for the Child and Adolescent. Amsterdam:Elsevier Inc.Google Scholar
- Tomita LM. (2009). Uma descrição funcional do comportamento da criança no contexto odontopediatrico.Google Scholar
- Weinstein P. Breaking the worldwide cycle of pain, fear, and avoidance: uncovering risk factors and promoting prevention for children. Ann Behav Med. 1990;12(4):141–7.Google Scholar