Case report: Macrodont mandibular second premolars, a hereditary dental anomaly
- 166 Downloads
Macrodontia or megadontia is a rare dental anomaly that refers to teeth that appear larger than normal. Generalised macrodontia may be associated with certain medical conditions and syndromes. Isolated macrodontia involves single teeth, might be the result of teeth fusion and is mainly seen in the incisor area.
This paper describes two unrelated cases presenting with bilateral macrodont second lower premolars and the treatment provided. One case demonstrated the anomaly in both the patient and his father.
This case report suggests for the first time in the literature the genetic aetiology and heritability, as a possible autosomal dominant trait, of this rare dental anomaly.
KeywordsMacrodontia Premolars Teeth Genetics Dental anomalies
This work was supported by a grant from API, 2009–2012, Hôpitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg, “development of the oral cavity: from gene to clinical phenotype in Human” and IFRO (Institut Français pour la Recherche Odontologique). We thank all patients and families who collaborated in this work, and all physicians, dentists involved in the care of these patients.
- Bloch-Zupan A, Sedano H, Scully C. Dento/oro/craniofacial anomalies and genetics. London: Elsevier Inc.; 2012.Google Scholar
- Cortes-Breton Brinkmann J, Barona-Dorado C, Martinez-Rodriguez N, Martin-Ares M, Martinez-Gonzalez JM. Nonsyndromic multiple hyperdontia in a series of 13 patients: epidemiologic and clinical considerations. J Am Dent Assoc. 2012; 143(6):e16–e24.Google Scholar
- Dadpe MV, Kale YJ, Patil PS. Molarization of the mandibular second premolars with concurrent dentin dysplasia: a rare case report. IJCD. 2010;1(2):66–9.Google Scholar
- Fuentes R, Borie E. Bilateral macrodontia of mandibular second premolars: a case report. J Morphol Sci. 2011;28(3):212–5.Google Scholar
- Hennekam RCM, Krantz ID, Allanson JE. Gorlin’s syndromes of the head and neck (Contributors Allanson JE, Bloch-Zupan A, Cohen MM, Cormier-Daire V, Cunniff C, Devriendt K, Geraghty MT, Gorlin RJ, Graham JM, Grunewald S, Hall JG, Hennekam RCM, Krantz ID, Loeys B, MacDonald IM, Mortier G, Moss C, Muenke M, Wilson L) 5th edn. New York: Oxford University Press; 2010.Google Scholar
- Rootkin-Gray VF, Sheehy EC. Macrodontia of a mandibular second premolar: a case report. ASDC J Dent Child. 2001;68(5–6):347–9, 302.Google Scholar