A Method for Developing Countermeasures to Lube-oil Pre-ignition in Gas Engines
- 64 Downloads
Abnormal combustion phenomena in gas engines, such as pre-ignition and high rates of lubricating oil combustion can limit efficiency and power. Prometheus Applied Technologies and GDEC have developed a method to predict these phenomena and their effects on gas engine combustion.
Abnormal combustion in natural gas engines has increasingly become an issue, especially in applications characterised by brake mean effective pressures (BMEP) greater than 16 bar and fuels with methane numbers (MN) less than 70 MN. The characteristic of this type of abnormal combustion is the lack of immediate thermal runaway and an increase in the frequency of occurrence and severity with an increase in operating hours. It is caused by lubricating oil auto-ignition (LOA) in the cylinder [1, 2, 3].
To achieve successful optimisation, the stochastic nature of the LOA phenomenon needs to be modelled through the stages of lubricating oil (LO) liner film break-up, vaporisation and auto-ignition....
KeywordsSeverity Index Cylinder Head Ignition Timing Combustion Cycle Brake Mean Effective Pressure
The authors wish to thank Convergent Science Inc. for their continued support.
- Yasueda, S.; Takasaki, K.; Tajima, H.: The Abnormal Combustion Affected by Lubricating Oil Ignition in Premixed Gas Engine. In: Proceedings of the ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division Spring Technical Conference, Turin, pp. 29–36, 2012Google Scholar
- Yasueda, S.: The Investigation of the Unstable Combustion Caused by the Autoignition of Lubricating Oil in Premixed Gas Engine. In: Proceedings of the 8th Dessau Gas Engine Conference, Dessau-Roßlau, pp. 211–222, 2013Google Scholar
- Dahnz, C.; Spicher, U.: Irregular Combustion in Supercharged Spark Ignition Engines — Pre-ignition and Other Phenomena. In: International Journal of Engine Research, pp. 485–498, 2010Google Scholar
- YASUEDA, S.: Predicting Autoignition Caused by Lubricating Oil in Gas Engines, CIMAC Congress, Shanghai, 2013Google Scholar
- SOTIROPOULOU, E.: A Method for Predicting Knock in Gas Engines by means of Chemical Precursors from Detailed Chemistry CFD, In: Proceedings of the 8th Dessau Gas Engine Conference, Dessau-Roßlau, 2013Google Scholar