Adaptive Cruise Control with a Customized Electronic Control Unit
- 145 Downloads
This paper aims the development of adaptive cruise control (ACC) system, a technology of advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS), in an embedded application. This research has at its disposal a vehicle with a customized electronic control unit, with functions to support the study of ADAS. An ACC module was produced to allow the insertion of embedded controllers, communicating with the vehicle network and with a radar for future on-road applications. The dynamic model of the vehicle was estimated using the system identification theory, and a model validation was performed. The control system was divided in a cascade control loop, being the outer loop controller responsible for computing the cruise speed and the inner loop for tracking such speed. The outer loop controller was performed using a switching logic between cruise control and ACC modes. The inner loop controller was designed with the Dahlin control theory. The validation of the controllers was performed using a safe and controlled environment, with a dynamometer.
KeywordsAdaptive cruise control Digital control Electronic control unit Dynamometer
- Filho, C. M., Terra, M. H., & Wolf, D. F. (2017). Safe optimization of highway traffic with robust model predictive control-based cooperative adaptive cruise control. IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 18(11), 3193–3203. https://doi.org/10.1109/TITS.2017.2679098.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ganji, Kouzani, & Khoo and Shams-ZahraeiGanji 2014]slidingacc Ganji, B., Kouzani, A. Z., Khoo, S. Y., & Shams-Zahraei, M., (2014). Adaptive cruise control of a hev using sliding mode control. Expert Systems with Applications, 41(2), 607–615. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2013.07.085.
- Khayyam, Nahavandi, & DavisKhayyam 2012]energyacc Khayyam, H., Nahavandi, S., & Davis, S., (2012). Adaptive cruise control look-ahead system for energy management of vehicles. Expert Systems with Applications, 39(3), 3874–3885. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2011.08.169.
- Li, S. E., Guo, Q., Xu, S., Duan, J., Li, S., Li, C., et al. (2017). Performance enhanced predictive control for adaptive cruise control system considering road elevation information. IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Vehicles, 2(3), 150–160. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIV.2017.2736246.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ljung, L. (ed.) (1999). System identification: Theory for the user, 2nd Edn. Prentice Hall PTR, Upper Saddle River, NJ.Google Scholar
- Luo, L., Chen, J., & Zhang, F. (2016). Integrated adaptive cruise control design considering the optimization of switching between throttle and brake. In 2016 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV) (pp. 1162–1167). https://doi.org/10.1109/IVS.2016.7535536.
- Pereira, B. C. F. (2017). Evolução de uma unidade de gerenciamento eletrônico de um motor vw 2.0 l e desenvolvimento de controle de cruzeiro: Projeto otto iv. Master’s thesis, Universidade de São Paulo.Google Scholar
- Pereira, B. S. (2015). Controle da mistura ar/combustível em um motor a combustão interna: sistema em malha fechada. Master’s Thesis, Universidade de São Paulo.Google Scholar
- Seborg, D., Edgar, T., & Mellichamp, D. (2004). Process dynamics and control: Wiley Series in Chemical Engineering. New York: Wiley.Google Scholar