Academic Achievement of Turkish Selective Schools in National Exams of HSEE and UEE with Respect to Test Types and Gender
- 267 Downloads
There are two main exams in Turkish educational system. One is at the end of middle school for entrance to selective high schools and the other is after high school to enter universities. Both exams are compulsory, both have four subtests (mathematics, natural sciences, Turkish and social sciences) and all the questions have to be from the shared curriculum. In this study high school entrance exam (HSEE) and university entrance exam (UEE) results of 34,479 students in 570 schools of three selective school types (Anatolian High Schools, Science High Schools and Anatolian Teacher Training High Schools) were compared to test the effectiveness of the types of school concerned with respect to academic achievement as determined by four subtests of HSEE and UEE. The relationship (correlation) and the difference (mean) between achievement levels for school types, for subtests and for gender were investigated. Correlations between HSEE and UEE-1 scores were the highest in Anatolian high schools for three subtests. One-way Anova and post hoc Scheffé test results showed there is significant difference in mean scores among school types. As for mean differences, Anatolian High Schools scored better than the other two school types. School type and focus on a subtest are related, and exam achievement of girls in science high schools is higher than achievement of boys.
KeywordsPlacement tests School type High school entrance exam University entrance exam Gender
- Amrein, A. L. & Berliner, D. C. (2002). High-stakes testing, uncertainty, and student learning. Education Policy Analysis Archives, 10(18). Retrieved August 2, 2011, from http://epaa.asu.edu/ojs/article/view/297/423.
- Aytas, F. (2005). Genel lise, Anadolu lisesi ve fen lisesinde çalışan yönetici ve öğretmenlerin kendi iş doyumlarına İlişkin Algıları [Perceptions related to the job satisfaction of the principals and teachers working in high schools, Anatolian high schools and science schools]. Unpublished master’s thesis, Institute of Social Sciences, Abant Izzet Baysal University, Bolu.Google Scholar
- Bahar, M. (2011). The difference and relationship between the SSEE and UEE-1 scores of anatolian vocational high schools. Educational Sciences: Theory and Practice, 11(2), 685–690.Google Scholar
- Baldie, S., Jin, Y., Skerner, M., Green, P., Hergel, D., & Xie, H. (2007). Highlights from PISA 2006: Performance of U.S. 15-year-old students in science and mathematics literacy in an ınternational context (NCES 2008-016). Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics.Google Scholar
- Berberoğlu, G., & Kalender, İ. (2005). Öğrenci başarısının yıllara, okul türlerine, bölgelere göre incelenmesi: ÖSS ve PISA analizi. [Investigation of student achievement across years, school types and regions: the SSE and PISA analyses]. Eğitim Bilimleri ve Uygulama, 4(7), 21–35.Google Scholar
- Berkowitz, D., & Hoekstra, M. (2011). Does high school quality matter? Evidence from admissions data. Economics of Education Review [On-line], 30(2), 280–288. doi: 10.1016/j.econedurev.2010.10.001.
- Cannata, M., & Peñaloza, V. R. (2008). An analysis of student achievement growth, teacher working conditions and qualifications, and school choice. In Report presented at the second annual meeting of the society for research on educational effectiveness. Crystal City: SREE.Google Scholar
- Carter, V., & Good, E. (1973). Dictionary of education. New York: McGraw Hill.Google Scholar
- Erdoğan, İ. (2005). Yeni binyıla doğru Türk eğitim sistemi; sorunlar ve çözümler. (4. Baskı). İstanbul: Sistem Yayıncılık.Google Scholar
- Erdoğdu, Y. M. (2006). Yaratıcılık ile öğretmen davranışları ve akademik başarı arasındaki ilişkiler [relationship between creativity and teacher behavior and academic achievement]. Sosyal Bilimler Dergisi, 5(17), 95–106.Google Scholar
- Ergün, M. (2008). Bilimsel araştırma yöntemleri: ders notları [Powerpoint sunusu]. Akdeniz Üniversitesi. Retrieved June 3, 2009, from www.egitim.aku.edu.tr/HipotezTesti.ppt.
- Gravetter, F. J., & Wallnau, L. B. (2007). Statistics for behavioral sciences (7th ed.). Belmont: Thomson Learning.Google Scholar
- Heubert, J., & Hauser, R. M. (1999). High stakes testing for tracking, promotion, and graduation. Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press.Google Scholar
- Huan, S. V., et al. (2012). How teacher-student relationship influenced student attitude towards teachers and schools. The Asia-Pacific Education Researcher, 21(1), 151–159.Google Scholar
- Huang, M. H. (2009). Beyond horse race comparisons of national performance averages: Math performance variation within and between classrooms in 38 countries. Educational Research and Evaluation, 15(4), 327–342. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13803610903087003.
- Jeong, D. W. (2009) Student participation and performance on advanced placement exams: Do state-sponsored incentives make a difference? Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis, 31, 346. doi: 10.3102/0162373709342466.
- Ketencioğlu, E. (2007). Anadolu öğretmen lisesi öğrencilerini öğretmenlik mesleğine yönelten etkenler [Factors leading Anatolian high school students to profession of teaching]. Unpublished master’s thesis, Balıkesir University, Balıkesir.Google Scholar
- Migues, A. R., Uzguiano, P. M., & Lozano, B. A. (2010). Changes in predictors of school performance in secondary school. Psicothema, 22(4), 790–796.Google Scholar
- Official Gazette [Resmi Gazete]. (1998). Regulation of Anatolian teacher training schools. Retrieved June 3, 2010, from http://oyegm.meb.gov.tr/mevzuat/yonetmelik/aolyonetmelik.htm.
- Official Gazette [Resmi Gazete]. (1999a). Regulation of Anatolian high schools. Retrieved June 3, 2010, from http://mevzuat.meb.gov.tr/html/45.html.
- Official Gazette [Resmi Gazete]. (1999b). Regulation of science high schools. Retrieved June 3, 2010, from http://mevzuat.meb.gov.tr/html/50.html.
- ÖSYM. (2011). 2011 ÖSYS yerleştirme sonuçlarına ilişkin sayısal bilgiler. Retrieved August 5, 2011, from http://www.osym.gov.tr/dosya/1-58052/h/02-2011-osysyerlestirmesonuclarinailiskinsayisalbilgile-.pdf.
- Özbek, R. (2007). Öğretmen adaylarının öğretmenlik mesleğini tercih etmelerinde kişisel, ekonomik ve sosyal faktörlerin etkililik derecesine ilişkin algıları[Teacher candidates’ perceptions about importance of personal, economic and social factors which affect their decisions to be teachers]. Fırat University Journal of Social Science, 17(1), 145–159.Google Scholar
- PISA 2009 National Report. (2010). Eğitimi Araştırma ve Geliştirme Dairesi Başkanlığı. Ankara: PISA.Google Scholar
- Yeşilyurt, C., & ve Alan, M. A. (2003). Fen liselerinin 2002 yılı göreceli etkinliğinin veri zarflama analizi yöntemi ile ölçülmesi [The measurement of relative efficiency of science high school in 2002 by using data envelopment analysis]. Cumhuriyet Üniversitesi İktisadi ve İdari Bilimler Dergisi, 4(2), 91–104.Google Scholar