Loop Mediated Isothermal Amplification: A Promising Tool for Screening Genetic Mutations
- 67 Downloads
Mutation screening is elemental for clinical diagnosis and in determining therapeutic strategies. Nucleic acid-based techniques are considered to be the most accurate tools in genetic diagnosis. One such technique is loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) assay, which has seen tremendous applications in recent years. The advantages of the assay lie in its rapidity, efficiency, sensitivity, and cost. It works in isothermal conditions and amplifies the target gene using DNA polymerases that have strand displacement activity. To date, the assay has been widely used in different fields of research, including pathogen detection, crop development, and disease diagnosis. However, despite the potential, its application in mutation screening has been minimal. This review highlights the LAMP assay and its variants that have been developed for screening single-nucleotide polymorphisms and gene translocations in cancer.
The support by Nitte (Deemed to the University) in the form of a PhD fellowship to the first author is gratefully acknowledged.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
The third author acknowledges Nitte (Deemed to be University), Mangaluru, India, for the financial support provided through an intramural research project (NUFR3/2016/05-04). In addition, this paper was partially supported by the Department of Biotechnology, Government of India through a project (BT/PR12230/AAQ/3/698/2014) awarded to the second author.
Conflict of interest
The authors (AS, BM, AC, and GC) have no conflict of interest to declare.
- 8.Fakruddin MD. Loop mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP)–an alternative to polymerase chain reaction (PCR). Bangladesh Res Publ J. 2011;5:425–39.Google Scholar
- 10.Poon LL, Wong BW, Ma EH, Chan KH, Chow LM, Abeyewickreme W, Tangpukdee N, Yuen KY, Guan Y, Looareesuwan S, Peiris JM. Sensitive and inexpensive molecular test for falciparum malaria: detecting Plasmodium falciparum DNA directly from heat-treated blood by loop-mediated isothermal amplification. Clin Chem. 2006;52:303–6.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Kundapur RR, Nema V. Loop-mediated isothermal amplification: beyond microbial identification. Cogent Biol. 2016;2:1137110.Google Scholar
- 15.Fukuta S, Mizukami Y, Ishida A, Ueda J, Hasegawa M, Hayashi I, Hashimoto M, Kanbe M. Real-time loop-mediated isothermal amplification for the CaMV-35S promoter as a screening method for genetically modified organisms. Eur Food Res Technol. 2004;218:496–500.Google Scholar
- 18.Guan X, Guo J, Shen P, Yang L, Zhang D. Visual and rapid detection of two genetically modified soybean events using loop-mediated isothermal amplification method. Food Anal Methods. 2010;3:313–20.Google Scholar
- 24.Saharan P, Dhingolia S, Khatri P, Duhan JS, Gahlawat S. Loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) based detection of bacteria: a review. Afr J Biotechnol. 2014;13:1920–8.Google Scholar
- 28.Biswal D. Advances in loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) technology and its necessity to detect helminth infections: an overview. Biomarkers J. 2016;2:1–5.Google Scholar
- 29.Li S, Wang Y, Li Y, Jiang J, Yu R, Xiang MS, Xia G. Loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP): real-time methods for the detection of the survivin gene in cancer cells. Anal Methods. 2016;8:6277–83.Google Scholar
- 32.Liu Y, Zhao Y, Qin Y, Du X, Wang Q, Lyu J. A novel microfluidic device that integrates nucleic acid extraction, amplification, and detection to identify an EGFR mutation in lung cancer tissues. RSC Adv. 2016;6:13399–406.Google Scholar
- 33.Nakamura N, Ito K, Takahashi M, Hashimoto K, Kawamoto M, Yamanaka M, Taniguchi A, Kamatani N, Gemma N. Detection of six single-nucleotide polymorphisms associated with rheumatoid arthritis by a loop-mediated isothermal amplification method and an electrochemical DNA chip. Anal Chem. 2007;79:9484–93.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 34.Kuzuhara Y, Yonekawa T, Iwasaki M, Kadota T, Kanda H, Horigome T, Notomi T. Homogeneous assays for single-nucleotide polymorphism genotyping: exo-proofreading assay based on loop-mediated isothermal amplification. Yokohama Med J. 2005;56:9–16.Google Scholar
- 38.Minnucci G, Amicarelli G, Salmoiraghi S, Spinelli O, Montalvo ML, Giussani U, Adlerstein D, Rambaldi A. A novel, highly sensitive and rapid allele-specific loop-mediated amplification assay for the detection of the JAK2V617F mutation in chronic myeloproliferative neoplasms. Haematologica. 2012;97:1394–400.PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 39.Carlos FF, Veigas B, Matias AS, Doria G, Flores O, Baptista PV. Allele specific LAMP-gold nanoparticle for characterization of single nucleotide polymorphisms. Biotechnol Rep. 2017;16:21–5.Google Scholar
- 42.Raack EJ. A rapid colorimetric peptide nucleic acid loop-mediated isothermal amplification assay for the detection of the IDH1 mutation in glioblastoma. All NMU Master’s Theses. 2017. p. 158.Google Scholar
- 49.Inácio J, Flores O, Spencer-Martins I. Efficient identification of clinically relevant Candida yeast species by use of an assay combining panfungal loop-mediated isothermal DNA amplification with hybridization to species-specific oligonucleotide probes. J Clin Microbiol. 2008;46:713–20.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 50.Wang L, Shi L, Alam MJ, Geng Y, Li L. Specific and rapid detection of foodborne Salmonella by loop-mediated isothermal amplification method. Food Res Int. 2008;41:69–74.Google Scholar
- 52.Kiddle G, Hardinge P, Buttigieg N, Gandelman O, Pereira C, McElgunn CJ, Rizzoli M, Jackson R, Appleton N, Moore C, Tisi LC. GMO detection using a bioluminescent real time reporter (BART) of loop mediated isothermal amplification suitable for field use. BMC Biotechnol. 2012;12:15.PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 55.Tanner NA, Evans TC. Loop-mediated isothermal amplification for detection of nucleic acids. Curr Protoc Mol Biol. 2014;105:15-4.Google Scholar
- 67.Le Roux CA, Kubo T, Grobbelaar AA, van Vuren PJ, Weyer J, Nel LH, Swanepoel R, Morita K, Paweska JT. Development and evaluation of a real-time reverse transcription-loop-mediated isothermal amplification assay for rapid detection of Rift Valley fever virus in clinical specimens. J Clin Microbiol. 2009;47:645–51.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 75.Sachidanandam R, Weissman D, Schmidt SC, Kakol JM, Stein LD, Marth G, Sherry S, Mullikin JC, Mortimore BJ, Willey DL, Hunt SE, Cole CG, Coggill PC, Rice CM, Ning Z, Rogers J, Bentley DR, Kwok PY, Mardis ER, Yeh RT, Schultz B, Cook L, Davenport R, Dante M, Fulton L, Hillier L, Waterston RH, McPherson JD, Gilman B, Schaffner S, Van Etten WJ, Reich D, Higgins J, Daly MJ, Blumenstiel B, Baldwin J, Stange-Thomann N, Zody MC, Linton L, Lander ES, Altshuler D. A map of human genome sequence variation containing 1.42 million single nucleotide polymorphisms. Nature. 2001;409:928–33.Google Scholar
- 86.Takayama I, Nakauchi M, Takahashi H, Oba K, Semba S, Kaida A, Kubo H, Saito S, Nagata S, Odagiri T, Kageyama T. Development of real-time fluorescent reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification assay with quenching primer for influenza virus and respiratory syncytial virus. J Virol Methods. 2019;267:53–8.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 89.Chakraborty G, Karunasagar I, Chakraborty A. Loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP): a rapid molecular diagnosis technique for detection of human pathogens. Nitte Univ J Health Sci. 2017;7:42–8.Google Scholar
- 90.Mohon AN, Menard D, Alam MS, Perera K, Pillai DR. A novel SNP-LAMP assay for detection of artemisinin-resistant Plasmodium falciparum malaria. Open Forum Infect Dis. 2018;5:ofy011.Google Scholar
- 93.Kumar Y, Bansal S, Jaiswal P. Loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP): a rapid and sensitive tool for quality assessment of meat products. Compr Rev Food Sci Food Saf. 2017;16:1359–78.Google Scholar