Advertisement

Reactions Weekly

, Volume 1748, Issue 1, pp 121–121 | Cite as

Chlorhexidine/isopropyl alcohol

Chronic adhesive arachnoiditis and radiculopathy secondary to medication error: case report
Case report
  • 28 Downloads
Author Information

An event is serious (based on the ICH definition) when the patient outcome is:

  • * death

  • * life-threatening

  • * hospitalisation

  • * disability

  • * congenital anomaly

  • * other medically important event

A 32-year-old woman developed chronic adhesive arachnoiditis (CAA) and radiculopathy following erroneous administration of chlorhexidine/isopropyl alcohol (instead of the epidural anaesthesia) into the epidural space for pain management during her labour [dosages not stated].

The primigravida woman presented with early labour in mid-2010. She was posted for epidural anaesthesia for pain management. While conducting the procedure, lightly tinted chlorhexidine/isopropyl alcohol [2% chlorhexidine in 70% alcohol] was kept into a metal pot to preform asepsis of the back. Sterile sodium-chloride [saline] was also kept into a second metal pot. Asepsis of the back was performed with a swab soaked in chlorhexidine/isopropyl alcohol. During the first attempt, the epidural catheter was...

Reference

  1. Mohamed Iqbal I, et al. Adhesive arachnoiditis following inadvertent epidural injection of 2% chlorhexidine in 70% alcohol-partial recovery over the ensuing eight years. Anaesthesia and Intensive Care 46: 572-574, No. 6, Nov 2018 -AustraliaCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar

Copyright information

© Springer International Publishing AG 2019

Personalised recommendations