Avatrombopag in the treatment of thrombocytopenia in adults with chronic liver disease scheduled to undergo a procedure: a profile of its use in the USA
- 55 Downloads
Avatrombopag (Doptelet®) is the first thrombopoietin receptor agonist approved in the USA to treat thrombocytopenia in adults with chronic liver disease who are scheduled to undergo a procedure. It is an important new development to mitigate the risk of bleeding and improve post-procedure management in this patient population. Relative to placebo, oral avatrombopag significantly increased the proportion of patients who did not require a platelet transfusion or rescue procedure up to 7 days after the scheduled procedure. Its efficacy was not altered by the bleeding risk associated with the procedure, or by patient age, sex, race, or degree of hepatic impairment. Avatrombopag has a convenient 5-day oral administration regimen and is well tolerated.
The manuscript was reviewed by: V.G.R. Gangireddy, United Hospital Center, Bridgeport, WV, USA; N.S. Reau, Rush Medical College, Chicago, IL, USA; B.B. Weksler, Division of Hematology-Medical Oncology, Weill Cornell Medicine, New York, NY, USA. During the peer review process, Dova Pharmaceuticals, the marketing-authorization holder of avatrombopag (Doptelet®), was also offered an opportunity to provide a scientific accuracy review of their data. Changes resulting from comments received were made on the basis of scientific and editorial merit.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
The preparation of this review was not supported by any external funding.
Conflict of interest
E.H. McCafferty and K.A. Lyseng-Williamson are employees of Adis, are responsible for the article content and declare no conflicts of interest.
- 1.National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. Thrombocytopenia. Bethesda (MD): National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute; 2018.Google Scholar
- 2.Mitchell O, Feldman DM, Diakow M, et al. The pathophysiology of thrombocytopenia in chronic liver disease. Hepat Med. 2016;8:39–50.Google Scholar
- 8.Nplate® (romiplostim) for injection, for subcutaneous use: US prescribing information. Thousand Oaks (CA): Amgen, Inc.; 2017.Google Scholar
- 9.Promacta® (eltrombopag) tablets: US prescribing information. East Hanover (NJ): Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation; 2018.Google Scholar
- 11.Doptelet® (avatrombopag) tablets: US prescribing information. Durham (NC): Dova Pharmaceuticals; 2018.Google Scholar