Volanesorsen: First Global Approval
Volanesorsen (Waylivra®), an antisense oligonucleotide inhibitor of apolipoprotein CIII (apoCIII) mRNA, is being developed by Ionis Pharmaceuticals through its subsidiary company, Akcea Therapeutics, to treat familial chylomicronemia syndrome (FCS), hypertriglyceridemia and familial partial lipodystrophy (FPL). In May 2019, volanesorsen was approved in the EU for the treatment of adult patients with FCS based on positive results from the multinational, phase III APPROACH and COMPASS studies. Other clinical trials are ongoing to assess its utility in hypertriglyceridemia, FPL and partial lipodystrophy. This article summarizes the milestones in the development of volanesorsen leading to this first approval as an adjunct to diet in adult patients with genetically confirmed FCS and at high risk for pancreatitis, in whom response to diet and triglyceride lowering therapy has been inadequate.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
The preparation of this review was not supported by any external funding.
Conflict of interest
During the peer review process the manufacturer of the agent under review was offered an opportunity to comment on the article. Changes resulting from any comments received were made by the authors on the basis of scientific completeness and accuracy. Julia Paik and Sean Duggan are salaried employees of Adis International Ltd/Springer Nature, are responsible for the article content and declare no relevant conflicts of interest.
- 4.Akcea Therapeutics. Akcea and Ionis announce approval of WAYLIVRA® (volanesorsen) in the European Union [media release]. 7 May 2019. http://www.akceatx.com.
- 5.European Medicines Agency. Volanesorsen: EU summary of product characteristics. 2019. https://www.waylivra.eu/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/WAYLIVRA-SmPC.pdf. Accessed 4 July 2019.
- 6.Akcea Therapeutics, PTC Therapeutics. Akcea Therapeutics and PTC Therapeutics collaborate to commercialize two rare disease drugs in Latin America [media release]. 2 Aug 2018. http://www.akceatx.com.
- 7.European Medicines Agency. Volanesorsen (Waylivra®): public assessment report; 2019. https://www.ema.europa.eu/. Accessed 4 July 2019.
- 9.Gaudet D, Digenio A, Alexander VJ, et al. The APPROACH study: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 study of volanesorsen administered subcutaneously to patients with familial chylomicronemia syndrome (FCS) [abstract no. 169]. J Clin Lipidol. 2017;11(3):814–5.CrossRefGoogle Scholar