ABP 980: A Trastuzumab Biosimilar
- 349 Downloads
ABP 980 (KANJINTI™) is a biosimilar of the reference anti-HER2 antibody trastuzumab. In the EU, ABP 980 is approved for use in all indications for which reference trastuzumab is approved, including HER2-positive early breast cancer, metastatic breast cancer and metastatic gastric cancer. ABP 980 has similar physicochemical and functional properties to those of reference trastuzumab, and the pharmacokinetic biosimilarity of the agents has been shown in healthy subjects. In the phase 3 LILAC study, ABP 980 demonstrated similar clinical efficacy (based on central laboratory review sensitivity analysis) and tolerability to that of reference trastuzumab in patients with HER2-positive early breast cancer. The tolerability, immunogenicity and safety profiles of ABP 980 were similar to those of reference trastuzumab, and a single switch from reference trastuzumab to ABP 980 had no impact on the immunogenicity or safety of ABP 980. The role of reference trastuzumab in the management of HER2-positive early breast cancer, metastatic breast cancer and metastatic gastric cancer is well established and ABP 980 provides an effective biosimilar alternative for patients requiring trastuzumab therapy.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
The preparation of this review was not supported by any external funding. During the review process, the manufacturer of ABP 980 was offered an opportunity to comment on the article. Changes resulting from any comments received were made by the author on the basis of scientific completeness and accuracy. Sohita Dhillon is a salaried employee of Adis/Springer, is responsible for the article content and declares no relevant conflicts of interest.
- 1.Hutterer K, McBride H, Polozova A, et al. Analytical and functional similarity of proposed Amgen biosimilar ABP 980 to trastuzumab [abstract no. P-207-TH plus poster]. In: 21st Symposium on the interface of regulatory and analytical sciences for biotechnology health products. 2017.Google Scholar
- 2.Hanes V, Born T, Chow V, et al. Functional and human pharmacokinetic similarity of ABP 980 and trastuzumab [abstract no. 436 plus poster]. Eur J Cancer. 2016;57(Suppl 2):S126.Google Scholar
- 3.European Medicines Agency. KANJINTI (trastuzumab): assessment report. 2018. http://www.ema.europa.eu/ema/. Accessed 18 July 2018.
- 5.von Minckwitz G, Turdean M, Zhang N, et al. Biosimilar ABP 980 in patients with early breast cancer: results of single switch from trastuzumab to ABP 980 [abstract no. P5-20-13 plus poster]. Cancer Res. 2017;78(4 Suppl).Google Scholar
- 6.Kolberg HC, Tomasevic Z, Demetriou GS, et al. Clinical comparison of the biosimilar ABP 980 and trastuzumab in early breast cancer: results of the phase 3 LILAC study and justification for extrapolation across approved trastuzumab indications [abstract no. 365 (PB-160) plus poster]. Eur J Cancer. 2018;92(Suppl. 3):S103–4.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Amgen. KANJINTI: summary of product characteristics. 2018. http://www.ema.europa.eu/ema/. Accessed 20 July 2018.