Updates on Botulinum Neurotoxins in Dermatology
Being the most popular non-surgical cosmetic procedure, botulinum neurotoxin (BoNT) injections are increasingly of interest to all cosmetic practitioners across the globe. This article serves to update readers on the new botulinum toxins that are currently in development or close to market in the USA and Canada, including daxibotulinumtoxin A, prabotulinumtoxin A, letibotulinumtoxin A, and botulinum toxin E. Despite having relatively similar characteristics and equivalent clinical efficacies, these neurotoxins manifest a multitude of unique potential advantages that will be explored in this review, including but not limited to a longer duration of action, the absence of animal-derived components or human albumin, and a rapid onset with short duration of action.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
No funding was received for the preparation of this review.
Conflict of interest
Edith Hanna has no conflicts of interest to declare. Kucy Pon has received honoraria for presentations from Allergan and Galderma.
- 3.Carruthers J, Carruthers JA. Botulinum toxin use for glabellar wrinkles. Presented at the annual meeting of the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery, Orlando, Fla., March 13–17, 1991.Google Scholar
- 8.Rzany BJ, Ascher B, Avelar RL, Bergdahl J. A Multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, single-dose, phase III, non-inferiority study comparing prabotulinumtoxin A and onabotulinumtoxin A for the treatment of moderate to severe glabellar lines in adult subjects. Aesthet Surg J. 2019.Google Scholar
- 9.Mishra M. FDA approves cheaper Botox rival to treat frown lines [Internet]. Reuters; [cited 2019 Feb 1]. https://reut.rs/2S8iv9q.
- 10.Caprino M. Revance’s RT002 demonstrates unprecedented efficacy and duration in largest-ever aesthetic neuromodulator clinical program [Internet]. Revance Therapeutics, Inc. Revance Therapeutics, Inc.; [cited 2018, Dec 4]. https://investors.revance.com/news-releases/news-release-details/revances-rt002-demonstrates-unprecedented-efficacy-and-duration.
- 11.Acquire Media. Revance reports results for RT001 topical phase 3 trial for lateral canthal lines [Internet]. Revance Therapeutics, Inc. Revance Therapeutics, Inc.; [cited 2016 June 13]. https://investors.revance.com/news-releases/news-release-details/revance-reports-results-rt001-topical-phase-3-trial-lateral.
- 12.Solish N, Bertucci V, Humphrey S, Bhatia A. Two phase 3, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicenter trials to evaluate the efficacy and safety of daxibotulinumtoxin A for injection to treat moderate to severe glabellar lines (SAKURA 1 and 2). J Am Acad Dermatol. 2018;79(3):AB306.Google Scholar
- 16.ClinicalTrials.gov [Internet]. Bethesda (MD): National Library of Medicine (US). 2000 Feb 29. Identifier NCT03408236. Randomized, double-blind, active-controlled, multicenter, phase I/III clinical trial to evaluate the safety and efficacy of Botulax® as compared to Botox® in subject with moderate to severe crow’s feet lines; 2017 Sept 11 [First posted 2018 Jan 23]. https://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03408236?term=botulax&rank=2.
- 17.Rose A. Allergan to acquire Bonti adding new neurotoxin programs to medical aesthetics pipeline [Internet]. Allergan plc. Allergan plc.; [cited 2018 Sept 14]. https://www.allergan.com/news/news/thomson-reuters/allergan-to-acquire-bonti-adding-new-neurotoxin-pr.
- 18.Yoelin SG, Dhawan SS, Vitarella D, Ahmad W, Hasan F, Abushakra S. Safety and efficacy of EB-001, a novel type E botulinum toxin, in subjects with glabellar frown lines: results of a phase 2, randomized, placebo-controlled, ascending-dose study. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2018;142(6):847e–55e.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Rodrigues O. Bonti announces successful completion of phase 2a scar reduction clinical study [Internet]. Bonti. Bonti; [cited 2018 Aug 2]. https://www.biospace.com/article/releases/bonti-announces-successful-completion-of-phase-2a-scar-reduction-clinical-study/.
- 21.Monheit GD, Nestor MS, Cohen J, Goldman MP. Evaluation of QM-1114, a novel ready-to-use liquid botulinum toxin, in aesthetic treatment of glabellar lines. 24th World Congress of Dermatology; 10-15 June 2019; Milan, Italy. https://www.wcd2019milan-dl.org/abstract-book/documents/late-breaking-abstracts/03-aesthetic-cosmetic-dermatology/evaluation-of-qm1114-a-novel-490.pdf.
- 22.U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Myobloc® (rimabotulinumtoxinB) injection [Internet]. Solstice Neurosciences, Inc. Solstice Neurosciences, Inc.; [cited 2009 July 31]. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2009/103846s5120lbl.pdf.