Demulsification-induced Fast Solidification: a Novel Strategy for Preparation of Polymer Encapsulations
- 3 Downloads
Encapsulations are being increasingly investigated in both academic research and industrial manufacturing and applied in numerous fields, such as phase change materials and smart materials. In this paper, a novel strategy of demulsification-induced fast solidification(DIFS) was proposed for the rapid fabrication(within 1 s) of polymer encapsulations via immersion of demulsifier particles in emulsion. The DIFS method allowed the fabrication of three-dimensional(3D) hollow polymer encapsulations with precisely controlled size and thickness over a wide range from micron to millimeter within just 1 s. Magnetic nanoparticles and luminescent materials were further introduced into 3D hollow polymer encapsulations via facile blending method. Moreover, encapsulated paraffin phase change materials with good thermal stability were also obtained using the DIFS method. Therefore, this work provides new insights into the design and preparation of functionalized encapsulation materials.
KeywordsPolymer Demulsification Encapsulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Supplementary material, approximately 8.81 MB.
- Benita S., Microencapsulation: Methods and Industrial Applications, Marcel Dekker Inc., New York, 1996 Google Scholar
- Chu M., Zhang J. F., Qu L. H., Li M. Y., Zhu D. T., Li W. F., Yao Z. H., Chem. J. Chinese Universities, 2018, 39(12), 2781Google Scholar
- Pendyala S., Macroencapsulation of Phase Change Materials for Thermal Energy Storage, University of South Florida, Tampa Bay, 2012 Google Scholar
- Bian F. L., Wang G. B., Liu X. S., Zheng Y., Sun Y. X., Shen J. C., Zhou E. L., Zhao X. G., Acta Scientiarum Naturalium Universitatis Jilinensis, 1994, 3, 110Google Scholar
- Warson H., Finch C. A., Applications of Synthetic Resin Latices, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Chichester, UK, 2001 Google Scholar
- Chen F., Yang Z., Petrochem. Ind. Appl., 2009, 28, 1Google Scholar
- Wang D., Kong R. X., Ge X. S., Yao Z. H., Zhou Y., Zhang J. F., Macromol. Mater. Eng., 2019, 1900250Google Scholar