Preparation of highly selective magnetic cobalt ion-imprinted polymer based on functionalized SBA-15 for removal Co2+ from aqueous solutions
- 11 Downloads
In this research, a novel magnetic cobalt ion imprinted adsorbent (Co(II)-MIIP) was synthesized by use of magnetic SBA-15 core-shell. It was functionalized by dithizone, and after identification by various techniques was used for removal of cobalt from aquatic systems. The uptake of cobalt proceeded very fast and achieved to equilibration within 5 min at which 74 mg g−1 of cobalt was adsorbed at pH = 8 with adsorbent dose of 0.15 g. The ion imprinted sorbent exhibited good selectivity towards cobalt ions. Separation and recovery of the used sorbent was carried out respectively by use of magnetic field and by use of HNO3 (0.1 M), and 85% of the initial capacity was obtained after seven 7 regeneration cycles. Different isotherm models, and error analysis were used to evaluate the experimental data. Thermodynamic, and kinetic evaluations showed that sorption process was endothermic, and described by second order kinetic model (R2 > 0.99). The equilibrium was established within five min.
KeywordsMagnetic sorbent Co(II)-MIIP: Mesoporous silica Functionalization Cobalt; dithizone
Compliance with ethical standards
Declaration on conflict of interest
There is no conflict of Interest.
- 9.Rengaraj S, Yeon KH, Kang SY, Lee JU, Kim KW, Moon SH. Studies on adsorptive removal of co(II), Cr(III) and Ni(II) by IRN77 cation-exchange resin. J Hazard Mater. 2002;B92:185–98.Google Scholar
- 25.Pérez-Quintanilla D, del Hierro I, Fajardo M, Sierra I. Microporous Mesoporous Mater. 2006;89:58–68.Google Scholar
- 26.Tadjarodi A, Jalalat V, Zare-Dorabei R. Synthesis and characterization of functionalized SBA-15 Mesoporous Silica by N, N´-Bis(salicylidene)ethylenediamine Schiff-Base. J Nanotech Stract. 2013;3:477–82.Google Scholar
- 32.Bagheri A, Behbahani M, Taghizadeh M, Salarian M, Sadeghi O, Adlnasab L, et al. Synthesis and characterization of nano structure lead (II) ion-imprinted polymer as a new sorbent for selective extraction and preconcentration of ultra trace amounts of lead ions from vegetables, rice, and fish samples. Food Chem. 2013;138(2–3):2050–6.Google Scholar
- 44.Freundlich HMF. Over the adsorption in solution. Z Phys Chem. 1906;57A(5):385–470.Google Scholar
- 56.Huang Ch HB. Silica-coated magnetic nanoparticles modified with γ- mercaptopropyltrimethoxysilane for fast and selective solid phase extraction of trace amounts of Cd, Cu, Hg, and Pb in environmental and biological samples prior to their determination by inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry. Spectrochim. Acta. 2008;63:437–44.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 61.Ibezim-Ezeani MU, Okoye FA, Akaranta O. Studies on the ion exchange properties of modified and unmodified orange mesocarp extract in aqueous solution. Int Arch Appl Sci Technol. 2010;1:33–40.Google Scholar