Biodegradation Behavior of Coated As-Extruded Mg–Sr Alloy in Simulated Body Fluid
- 38 Downloads
As-extruded Mg–Sr alloy, a kind of promising biodegradable biomedical material, was coated using micro-arc oxidation and also using a phosphate conversion coating. The corrosion behaviors were investigated using Hanks’ solution. The corrosion of the as-extruded Mg–Sr alloy became more serious with increasing immersion time; that is, the corrosion pits became more numerous, larger and deeper. The micro-arc oxidation coating and the phosphate conversion coating were effective in improving the corrosion resistance of the as-extruded Mg–Sr alloy. The micro-arc oxidation coating was much more effective. Moreover, the as-extruded Mg–Sr alloy and the coated as-extruded Mg–Sr alloy exhibited lower corrosion rates than the as-cast Mg–Sr alloy and the corresponding coated as-cast Mg–Sr alloy, indicating that the corrosion properties of the coated samples are dependent on their substrates. The finer microstructure of the substrate of the as-extruded condition corroded much slower. The corrosion resistance of the coated Mg–Sr alloy depended on the coating itself and on the microstructure of the substrate.
KeywordsMg alloy Micro-arc oxidation coating Phosphate conversion coating Biodegradation Corrosion resistance
The study was financially supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 51874368).
- C. Liu, P. Wan, L. Tan, K. Wang, K. Yang, J. Orthop. Transl. 2, 139 (2014)Google Scholar
- Y. Li, C. Wen, D. Mushahary, R. Sravanthi, N. Harishankar, G. Pande, P. Hodgson, Acta Biomater. 3177, 8 (2012)Google Scholar
- W.X. Li (ed.), Magnesium and Magnesium Alloys (First Edition in 2005) (Central South University Press, Changsha, 2005), p. 47Google Scholar
- G.L. Makar, J. Kruger, A. Joshi, in Advances in Magnesium Alloys and Composites, ed. by H.G. Paris, W.H. Hunt (TMS, Warrendale, 1988)Google Scholar
- L. Wang, L. Chen, Z. Yan, W. Fu, Appl. Surf. Sci. 205, 1651 (2010)Google Scholar
- Y.J. Lu, L.L. Tan, H.L. Xiang, B.C. Zhang, K. Yang, Acta Metall. Sin. (Engl. Lett.) 25, 287 (2012)Google Scholar