Monitoring Damage Evolution in a Titanium Matrix Composite Shaft Under Torsion Loading Using Acoustic Emission
- 42 Downloads
The damage behaviors of a titanium matrix composite shaft under torsion loading were monitored using the acoustic emission technique. The composite shaft with SiC fibers at ± 45° orientations was prepared by the solid-state fabrication process. Both the torsional rigidity and torsional strength of the TMC shaft were improved by SiC fibers. The acoustic emission responses during the loading–unloading–reloading, under quasi-static and cyclic torsion tests were investigated. Multiple acoustic emission signals were grouped as mechanical noise, matrix deformation, interface debonding and fiber fracture using amplitude, waveform shape and frequency centroid parameters. A substantial reduction of signals generated by matrix deformation was found in the reloading test. During the quasi-static torsion test, interface debonding and progressive breaks of SiC fibers occurred. According to different acoustic emission behaviors, the failure process in the torsion fatigue test can be divided into three stages: the initial stage, the fiber fracture stage and the fast fracture stage.
KeywordsMetal matrix composites (MMCs) Fracture Fatigue Acoustic emission Torsion
The first author, Xu Kong, gratefully acknowledges the support by Prof. Yundong Sha, College of Aerospace Engineering, Shenyang Aerospace University, who provided the matrix fatigue property data. The authors also thank Mr. Hai Liu, Shenyang Aero-engine Design Institute, for fulfilling the torsion test.
- M.R. Winstone, A. Partridge, J.W. Brooks, Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. Part L J. Mater. Des. Appl. 215, 63 (2001)Google Scholar
- G. Lütjering, J.C. Williams, Titanium, 2nd edn. (Springer, New York, 2007), p. 367Google Scholar
- T.H. Hyde, K. Punyong, A.A. Becker, Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. Part L J. Mater. Des. Appl. 229, 51 (2015)Google Scholar
- A. Bussiba, M. Kupiec, S. Ifergane, R. Piat, T. Böhlke, Compos. Sci. Technol. 68, 1144 (2008)Google Scholar
- V. Arumugam, S. Barath Kumar, C. Santulli, A. Joseph Stanley, Acta Metall. Sin. (Engl. Lett.) 24, 351 (2011)Google Scholar
- K. Ono, in Springer Handbook of Acoustics, ed. by T.D. Rossing (Springer, New York, 2014), p. 1209Google Scholar
- Y.M. Wang, G.X. Zhang, X. Zhang, Q. Yang, L.N. Yang, R. Yang, Acta Metall. Sin. 52, 1153 (2016) (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- K. Máthis, F. Chmelík, in Acoustic Emission, ed. by W. Sikorski (InTech, Rijeka, 2012)Google Scholar