Impact of Over-the-Top (OTT) Services on the Telecom Companies in the Era of Transformative Marketing
Due to digitalization today, we are more connected than ever before in human history. Access to the Internet has increased from 16 million in 1995 to 4157 million users by the end of December 2017. The industry which helped humanity connected and made the world a global village is the telecommunication industry. However, today the telecom companies are facing revenue losses; for instance, revenue of value-added services of telecom companies in Pakistan has reduced from Rs 5861 million in 2012 to 236 million by the end of 2017. Similarly, because of WhatsApp, Skype and Messenger usage, the long-distance call and SMS revenue of telecom companies in Pakistan have reduced from Rs 47,969 million in 2008 to 19,555 million at the end of 2017. With the empirical evidence from Pakistan and the literature from all over the world, this overview research paper summarizes the issues of the telecom sector and suggests a way forward to help the telecom companies to come out of this situation. For review paper, official telecom regulatory reports and GSMA reports have been referred. This study concluded that, on the one hand, telecom company’s revenue is decreasing and, on the other hand, it is bringing enormous opportunities to the companies. Telecom companies can get the benefit of changing customer preferences’ by understanding customers’ requirements, producing and selling Internet and digital value-added products and services in parallel with traditional telephony services
KeywordsCustomer preferences Digitalization Telecommunication Transformative Marketing Over the TOP (OTT)
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors whose names are listed immediately below certify that they have no affiliations with or involvement in any organization or entity with any financial interest (such as honoraria; educational grants; participation in speakers’ bureaus; membership, employment, consultancies, stock ownership, or other equity interest; and expert testimony or patent-licensing arrangements) or non-financial interest (such as personal or professional relationships, affiliations, knowledge or beliefs) in the subject matter or materials discussed in this manuscript.
- Akamai. (2013). The state of the internet 1ST QUARTER, 2013 REPORT (Vol. 6). Retrieved from https://www.akamai.com/kr/ko/multimedia/documents/state-of-the-internet/akamai-q1-2013-state-of-the-internet-connectivity-report.pdf. Accessed 07 Aug 2018.
- Borowski, J., & Khurana, B. S. (2019). Technology transformation: Reinvent the network and change the way of working, Now! In Future Telco (pp. 359–369). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-77724-5_32.
- Eberhard, U., & Heuermann, A. (2019). Open access via mobile wholesale network: A new approach to broadband deployment: The case of Mexico. In Future Telco (pp. 263–271). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-77724-5_23.
- Erik, H. (2014). Telecom firms face $386 billion in lost revenue to Skype, WhatsApp|Fortune. Retrieved September 14, 2018, from http://fortune.com/2014/06/23/telecom-companies-count-386-billion-in-lost-revenue-to-skype-whatsapp-others/.
- Farooq, M., & Jabbar, Z. (2014). Role of Word of Mouth in building CBBE. Elixir Marketing Management, 73, 26443–26447.Google Scholar
- Glohr, C. (2019). Telco focus on business customers. In Future Telco (pp. 299–307). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-77724-5_26.
- Grineisen, J., & Rehme, G. (2019). Evolution path: The telco-centric digital ecosystem. In Future Telco (pp. 309–318). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-77724-5_27.
- Heilen, T. (2019). Becoming faster and more direct: Telco carrier product management turns towards customers, partners and colleagues. In Future Telco (Vol. 8, pp. 187–194). Pro Rhetoric, LLC. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-77724-5_16.
- Heinemann, J., Platzen, O., & Schiefer, C. (2019). Successful Navigation through digital transformation using an innovation radar. In Future Telco (pp. 155–164). Meredith Corporation. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-77724-5_13.
- Hong, C.-G., & Dietze, C. (2019). Enabling digital excellence through business process management and process frameworks. In Future Telco (pp. 341–348). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-77724-5_30.
- Korzunowicz, K. (2019). DevOps telco: An oxymoron? In Future Telco (pp. 99–110). Meredith Corporation. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-77724-5_9.
- Krämer, C. (2019). Success with partnering: Results of an international study. In Future Telco (Vol. 67, pp. 197–210). China Today. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-77724-5_17.
- Lukowski, G., Rauch, A., & Rosendahl, T. (2019). The virtual representation of the world is emerging. In Future Telco (pp. 165–173). Meredith Corporation. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-77724-5_14.
- Nathan, M. (2018). Digital in 2018: World’s internet users pass the 4 billion mark—We Are Social USA. Retrieved September 14, 2018, from https://wearesocial.com/us/blog/2018/01/global-digital-report-2018.
- Obernolte, C., Hauk, J., & Aumann, C. (2019). How carriers can use protection services to safeguard the digital lives of their customers. In Future Telco (pp. 285–297). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-77724-5_25.
- PTA. (2019). Telecom indicators. Retrieved October 12, 2018, from https://www.pta.gov.pk/en/telecom-indicators.
- Regina, R. (2017). OTT services threaten network operators’ core revenues|ITWeb. Retrieved September 14, 2018, from https://www.itweb.co.za/content/Wdgp45Ma6KkqX9l8.
- Reith, L. (2019). Paradigm Shift! The Path to Brutal Automation. In Future Telco (pp. 111–129). Evening Standard Limited. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-77724-5_10.
- Schmitz, M., Stummer, C., & Gerke, M. (2019). Smart Automation as enabler of digitalization? A Review of RPA/AI Potential and Barriers to Its Realization. In Future Telco (pp. 349–358). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-77724-5_31.
- Steingröver, M., Cardozo Larrea, E. B., & Zhelev, N. (2019). The rise of OTT players: What is the appropriate regulatory response? In Future Telco (Vol. 45, pp. 241–249). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-77724-5_21.
- Weber, D., Schilling, C., & Wisselink, F. (2019). Low power wide area networks: The game changer for the internet of things. In Future Telco (Vol. 19, pp. 175–185). University of San Diego, School of Law. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-77724-5_15.
- Wisselink, F., & Schneider, D. (2019). The artificial intelligence challenge: How Telcos can obtain a grand prix for insights monetization. In Future Telco (pp. 329–337). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-77724-5_29.