Dielectric relaxation and magneto-electric characteristics of lead-free double perovskite: Sm2NiMnO6
The polycrystalline sample of a double perovskite, Sm2NiMnO6 was synthesized by a solid-state reaction route. From the X-ray structural study, it is found that the structure of the material is monoclinic with lattice parameters: a = 4.1750(63) Å, b = 7.6113(63) Å, c = 5.9896(63) Å, and β = 112.70°. These parameters are very close to and consistent with those of such type of materials. The dielectric, impedance, AC conductivity, and electrical modulus properties of the sample were studied in the temperature range of 25–300 °C and the frequency range of 1 kHz–1 MHz. Typical relaxor behavior observed in the dielectric studies was confirmed by Vogel—Fulcher fitting. From the Nyquist plots, the temperature dependent contribution of grain and grain boundary effect was confirmed. The non-Debye type of relaxation was found using the complex impedance spectroscopy. The magnetic study revealed that the sample had paramagnetic behavior at room temperature. Magneto-electric (ME) coefficient was obtained by changing DC bias magnetic field. This type of lead-free relaxor ferroelectric compound may be useful for high-temperature applications.
Keywordssolid-state reaction X-ray diffraction (XRD) dielectric relaxation magneto-electric (ME) coupling
The authors would like to extend their gratitudes and sincere thanks to Dr. Kalyani Mohanta, Indian Institute of Technology, BHU, for providing some experimental facilities for microstructure and Dr. Perumal Alagarsamy, Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati, providing the experimental facility for magnetic measurements.
- Ortega N, Kumar A, Scott JF, et al. Multifunctional magnetoelectric materials for device applications. J Phys: Condens Matter, 2015, 27: 504002.Google Scholar
- Parida B N, Panda N, Padhee R, et al. Dielectric relaxation and impedance analysis of ferroelectric double perovskite Pb2BiNbO6. J Mater Sci: Mater Electron 2017, 28: 1824–1831.Google Scholar
- Parida K, Dehury SK, Choudhary RNP. Structural, electrical and magneto-electric characteristics of complex multiferroic perovskite Bi0.5Pb0.5Fe0.5Ce0.5O3. Journal Mate Sci: Mater Electron, 2016, 27: 11211–11219.Google Scholar
- Gupta P, Padhee R, Mahapatra P K, et al. Structural, dielectric, impedance and modulus spectroscopy of Bi2NdTiVO9 ferroelectric ceramics. J Mater Sci: Mater Electron 2017, 28: 17344–17353.Google Scholar
- Deepti PL, Patri K, Choudhary RNP. MgBi2V2O9: Preparation and electrical property evaluation. J Mater Sci: Mater Electron 2017, 28: 16071–16076.Google Scholar
- Padhee R, Das PR, Parida BN, et al. Structural, dielectric and electrical properties of dysprosium based new complex electroceramics. J Mater Sci: Mater Electron 2012, 23: 1688–1697.Google Scholar
- Sutar BC, Pati B, Parida BN, et al. Dielectric and impedance characteristics of Ba(Bi0.5Nb0.5)O3 ceramics. J Mater Sci: Mater Electron 2013, 24: 2043–2051.Google Scholar
- Patri SK, Choudhary RNP. Electrical properties of LaBi8Fe5Ti3O27. J Mater Sci: Mater Electron 2008, 19: 1240–1246.Google Scholar
Open Access This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which permits use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons licence, and indicate if changes were made.
The images or other third party material in this article are included in the article’s Creative Commons licence, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the article’s Creative Commons licence and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder.
To view a copy of this licence, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/.