A Summary of Newer and Safer Opioid Formulations
Purpose of the Review
The review provides a brief summary of newer and safer opioid formulations that are currently on the market.
The FDA currently has on the market seven opioid formulations that have abuse-deterrent properties.
While prescription opioid abuse continues to be a problem today, the development of abuse-deterrent opioids may mitigate the incidence of abuse.
KeywordsOpioids Abuse Abuse deterrent Oxycodone Morphine Opioid epidemic Hydrocodone Oxycontin Hysingla Fda Cdc Roxybond Morphabond Embeda Xtampza Arymo Opioid abuse Opioid misuse Misuse Overdose
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
Michelle Dang declares that she has no conflict of interest.
Human and Animal Rights and Informed Consent
This article does not contain any studies with human or animal subjects performed by any of the authors.
Papers of particular interest, published recently, have been highlighted as: • Of importance •• Of major importance
- 2.•• U.S. Food and Drug Administration (2018, June 14). Opioid medications and FDA’s 2018 strategic policy roadmap. Retrieved from https://www.fda.gov/downloads/AboutFDA/ReportsManualsForms/Reports/UCM592001.pdf. Overview of agency updates on opioid crisis.
- 3.World Health Organization. Lexicon of alcohol and drug terms published by the World Health Organization. Retrieved from http://www.who.int/substance_abuse/terminology/who_lexicon/en/
- 5.Moorman-Li R, Motycka CA, Inge LD, Congdon JM, Hobson S, Pokropski B. A review of abuse-deterrent opioids for chronic nonmalignant pain. Pharm Ther. 2012;37(7):412–8.Google Scholar
- 7.•• U.S. Food and Drug Administration (2018, April 23). Abuse deterrent opioid analgesics. Retrieved from https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/PostmarketDrugSafetyinformationforPatientsandProviders/ucm600788.htm. Overview of available ADF today.
- 9.U.S. Food and Drug Administration (2018, April 26). FDA opioids action plan. Retrieved from https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/InformationbyDrugClass/ucm484714.htm.
- 11.Bonnie R, Ford M, Phillips J. Pain management and the opioid epidemic: balancing societal and individual benefits and risks of prescription opioid use. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. 2017; Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. https://doi.org/10.17226/24781.Google Scholar