- 2 Downloads
Purpose of Review
To outline the current state of humanitarian teleradiology: scope of projects, technical and organization challenges, and to outline how recent technological developments will change the face of humanitarian teleradiology and global health.
Technical and information technology improvements in recent years have enabled small- and large-scale teleradiology projects in many regions, some quite remote, of low- and middle-income countries (LMICs). These are aimed at alleviating the severe shortage of radiologists in LMICs. Teleradiology offers an opportunity for radiologists in high-income countries (HICs) to volunteer and contribute on an ongoing basis without the commitment of time and effort required by volunteers in other forms of global health. Recent and anticipated improvements in internet availability, as well as the emergence of artificial intelligence (AI), will continue to change the face of teleradiology and radiology in LMICs.
Humanitarian teleradiology provides valuable benefits to patient care in LMICs, and the combination of AI and widespread access to high-speed internet will revolutionize the field within the next decade.
KeywordsTeleradiology Global radiology Volunteer Information technology Artificial intelligence Developing countries
Recently published papers of particular interest have been highlighted as: • Of importance
- 1.Welling RD, Azene EM, Kalia V, Pongpirul K, Starikovsky A, Sydnor R, et al. White Paper Report of the 2010 RAD-AID Conference on International Radiology for Developing Countries: identifying sustainable strategies for imaging services in the developing world. J Am Coll Radiol JACR. 2011;8:556–62.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.WHO | Medical imaging [Internet]. WHO. [cited 2019 Jan 16]. http://www.who.int/diagnostic_imaging/en/.
- 3.World Bank Country and Lending Groups—World Bank Data Help Desk [Internet]. [cited 2019 Jan 22]. https://datahelpdesk.worldbank.org/knowledgebase/articles/906519-world-bank-country-and-lending-groups.
- 4.WHO | Donation of medical equipment [Internet]. WHO. [cited 2019 Jan 16]. http://www.who.int/medical_devices/management_use/manage_donations/en/.
- 12.Global Teleradiology Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report, 2018–2024—Market is Estimated to Reach USD 8.2 Billion by 2024, Exhibiting a CAGR of 19.1% [Internet]. PR Newswire. 2018. https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/global-teleradiology-market-size-share–trends-analysis-report-2018—2024—market-is-estimated-to-reach-usd-8-2-billion-by-2024–exhibiting-a-cagr-of-19-1-300705948.html.
- 14.Swanson J, Mendel J. Novel IT Infrastructure for enabling global teleradiology. Chicago, IL; 2015.Google Scholar
- 15.Pre-owned Medical Importation—by Country [Internet]. IAMERS. 2015 [cited 2019 Jan 22]. https://iamers.org/pre-owned-medical-importation-by-country/.
- 16.Mollura DJ, Lungren MP, editors. Radiology in Global Health [Internet]. New York, NY: Springer New York; 2014 [cited 2019 Jan 22]. http://link.springer.com/10.1007/978-1-4614-0604-4.
- 17.Zennaro F, Oliveira Gomes JA, Casalino A, Lonardi M, Starc M, Paoletti P, et al. Digital Radiology to Improve the Quality of Care in Countries with Limited Resources: A Feasibility Study from Angola. Dowdy DW, editor. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e73939.Google Scholar
- 19.• Mendel J, Schweitzer AL. PACS for the Developing World. J Glob Radiol. 2015;1(2). https://doi.org/10.7191/jgr.2015.1012 Article describes challenges and solutions for deployment of PACS in LMIC.
- 20.Degezelle W. IGF 2017—Best Practice Forum on Cybersecurity [Internet]. Internet Gov. Forum. 2017 [cited 2019 Jan 22]. https://www.intgovforum.org/multilingual/content/igf-2017-best-practice-forum-on-cybersecurity.
- 21.World Development Report 2016. World Dev Rep, p. 359.Google Scholar
- 22.C11. Hybrid Digital Image Watermarking Technique for Data Hiding. 2013 30th Natl Radio Sci Conf NRSC [Internet]. Cairo, Egypt: IEEE; 2013 [cited 2019 Jan 22]. p. 220–7. http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6587920/.
- 23.Thanki RM, Borra S, Borisagar K. A Hybrid Watermarking Technique for Copyright Protection of Medical Signals in Teleradiology.Google Scholar
- 24.We Are Social—Digital Report 2018 [Internet]. [cited 2019 Jan 22]. https://digitalreport.wearesocial.com/.
- 26.DeStigter KK, Morey GE, Garra BS, Rielly MR, Anderson ME, Kawooya MG, et al. Low-Cost Teleradiology for Rural Ultrasound. 2011 IEEE Glob Humanit Technol Conf [Internet]. Seattle, WA, USA: IEEE; 2011 [cited 2019 Jan 22]. p. 290–5. http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6103652/.
- 28.Authors WN. Wireless Networking in the Developing World: Black and White Version. Three edition. Butler JS, editor. S.l.: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform; 2013.Google Scholar
- 30.Alkathiri NM. Ubiquitous Electronic Medical Record (EMR) for Developing Countries.:95.Google Scholar
- 31.• Beck EJ, Gill W, De Lay PR. Protecting the confidentiality and security of personal health information in low- and middle-income countries in the era of SDGs and Big Data. Glob Health Action. 2016;9:32089. Article highlights operational issues and recommendations, including use of the UNAIDS/PEPFAR assessment tool, towards improving patient health information confidentiality and security in low- and middle-income countries. Google Scholar
- 32.International Outreach Program | American College of Radiology | American College of Radiology [Internet]. [cited 2019 Jan 23]. https://www.acr.org/Member-Resources/Volunteer/international-outreach.
- 33.Rhee DS, Heckman JE, Chae S-R, Loh LC. Comparative analysis: potential barriers to career participation by north american physicians in global health. Int J Fam Med. 2014;2014:728163.Google Scholar
- 35.Mendel J. Malpractice Concerns for Volunteer Radiologists. Unpublished Paper; 2014.Google Scholar
- 36.Vijay N. Doctor shortfall in Africa propels demand for teleradiology expertise: Dr. Arjun Kalyanpur [Internet]. 2016. http://www.pharmabiz.com/NewsDetails.aspx?aid=98967&sid=1.
- 37.Jersild. Radiologist sightings drop around the world | Diagnostic Imaging [Internet]. 2003 [cited 2019 Jan 22]. http://www.diagnosticimaging.com/article/radiologist-sightings-drop-around-world.
- 38.Decline of Global Extreme Poverty Continues but Has Slowed [Internet]. World Bank. 2018 [cited 2019 Jan 22]. http://www.worldbank.org/en/news/press-release/2018/09/19/decline-of-global-extreme-poverty-continues-but-has-slowed-world-bank.
- 39.• Guo J, Li B. The Application of Medical Artificial Intelligence Technology in Rural Areas of Developing Countries. Health Equity. 2018;2:174–81. An overview of AI medical technologies and their proposed applications in rural underserved regions, including the role of a novel conceptual model of multi-level medical AI service network. CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 40.• Rajpurkar P, Irvin J, Zhu K, Yang B, Mehta H, Duan T, et al. CheXNet: Radiologist-Level Pneumonia Detection on Chest X-Rays with Deep Learning. ArXiv171105225 Cs Stat [Internet]. 2017 [cited 2019 Jan 22]; http://arxiv.org/abs/1711.05225 As of 2017, this article describes an upgraded algorithm-based neural network that surpasses the performance of radiologists in radiograph detection of 14 thoracic diseases. Such applications of deep learning are certain to transform AI-mediated radiologic imaging diagnosis in global health.
- 41.Rodríguez-Ruiz A, Krupinski E, Mordang J-J, Schilling K, Heywang-Köbrunner SH, Sechopoulos I, et al. Detection of breast cancer with mammography: effect of an artificial intelligence support system. Radiology. 2018;209:305–14.Google Scholar
- 42.Mendel J. Near-term adoption of AI in Global Radiology: Barriers and Opportunities. Chicago, IL; 2018.Google Scholar
- 43.Khullar D. Opinion | A.I. Could Worsen Health Disparities. NY Times [Internet]. 2019 Feb 2 [cited 2019 Feb 15]; https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/31/opinion/ai-bias-healthcare.html.
- 44.• Kim DW, Jang HY, Kim KW, Shin Y, Park SH. Design Characteristics of Studies Reporting the Performance of Artificial Intelligence Algorithms for Diagnostic Analysis of Medical Images: Results from Recently Published Papers. Korean J. Radiol. 2019;20(3):405–10 Article describes current limitations and criteria necessary for robust external validation of AI. CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 47.Garry Choy MD MBA. International radiology exchange—low cost informatics tools used in… [Internet]. 09:04:48 UTC [cited 2019 Jan 24]. https://www.slideshare.net/garrychoy/international-radiology-exchange-low-cost-informatics-tools-used-in-teleradiology-outreach-and-charity-work-iradxorg.
- 48.Telerad Foundation [Internet]. 2019. http://www.teleradfoundation.org/.
- 49.Téléradiologie Sans Frontières [Internet]. Téléradiologie Front. [cited 2019 Jan 25]. https://teleradiologie-sans-frontieres.org.