Design of an Attachment Scheme of a Vehicle to a Typical Fighter Aircraft
- 39 Downloads
Design of an attachment scheme of a flight vehicle to a fighter aircraft is a critical task. Here, flight vehicle is a cylindrical body and it is attached to fighter aircraft with the help of a component called launch lug. Loads experienced by the flight vehicle in captive condition have been estimated by using aircraft parameters obtained during previous missions of similar kind of vehicles. This paper provides state of the art design consideration of the attachment scheme (launch lug and shell assembly) of the flight vehicle to the fighter aircraft. The structural integrity of the flight vehicle and its attachments scheme to the fighter aircraft has been verified at various aircraft manoeuvring conditions in its flight envelope through analysis. Design is verified using laboratory testing and in field trials. Finally this flight vehicle with the attachment scheme was used in flight trials.
KeywordsLaunch lug Captive load Stiffener Inertia load factor Manoeuvre
The author is thankful to DRDL, Hyderabad for invaluable assistance, support and guidance.
- 1.Design Criteria Standard, MIL-STD-8591 Airborne Stores, Suspension Equipment and Aircraft-Store Interface (Carriage Phase), pp. 49–52, 12 Dec 2005Google Scholar
- 2.Military Specification, MIL-M-8856 B, Missiles, Guided, Structural Integrity, General Specification For, pp. 13–14, 22 Oct 1990Google Scholar
- 4.A. Singh, J. Singh, P. Singh, Lug attachment of wing-fuselage. Int. J. Aerosp. Mech. Eng. 1(1), 12–14 (2014)Google Scholar
- 6.P. Kabade, R. Lingannavar, Design and analysis of landing gear lug attachment in an airframe. Int. J. Innov. Res. Sci. Eng. Technol. 2(10), 5358–5370 (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.V.S. Telgote, G.E. Kondhalkar, Design, analysis and development of pressure vessel lug support. Int. J. Eng. Sci. Comput. 6(6), 7809–7816 (2016)Google Scholar
- 9.E.F. Bruhn, Analysis and Design of Flight Vehicle (Jacobs Publishing, Austin, 1973)Google Scholar
- 10.ANSYS Mechanical APDL Structural Analysis. Release 15.0, November 2013Google Scholar
- 12.Micro Measurements Tech. Note TN - 51. Document No.11065, Revision: 14-08-2014Google Scholar
- 13.Micro Measurements Tech. Note TN - 505-5. Document No.11055, Revision: 12-07-2017Google Scholar