Evaluation of Modulation Strategies for Single-Phase Quasi-Z-Source Inverter
- 9 Downloads
Quasi-Z-source inverter has the ability to provide boost and DC–AC conversion of the input voltage in a single stage. The impedance network of the quasi-Z-source inverters offers unique advantages such as lower component ratings, constant DC current from source and capability to handle wide input voltage. Cascaded multilevel inverters are preferred as they are transformerless and modular and provide lower harmonics. The advantages of both are combined in five-level quasi-Z-source cascaded multilevel inverter, and the various modulation strategies applied to it are investigated in this paper. This paper focuses on phase-shifted pulse width modulation with simple boost, maximum boost and maximum constant boost control, phase-shifted pulse width amplitude modulation and hybrid pulse width modulation. Simulation of single-phase five-level quasi-Z-source cascaded multilevel inverter with the above-mentioned strategies has been carried out in MATLAB/Simulink. A hardware prototype of the five-level qZS-CMI has been developed. The PS-PWAM pulses have been implemented through FPGA/Spartan 3E, and the results are validated.
KeywordsQuasi-Z-source cascaded multilevel inverter Phase-shifted pulse width modulation Phase-shifted pulse width amplitude modulation Hybrid pulse width modulation
The authors would like to sincerely thank the SSN Management (Grant number: 06_10_2016) for funding this research work.
- 8.D. Sun, B. Ge, F.Z. Peng, A.R. Haitham, D. Bi, Y. Liu, A new grid-connected PV system based on cascaded H bridge quasi-Z source inverter, in Proceedings of the IEEE ISIE, May 28–31 (2012), pp. 951–956Google Scholar
- 10.J. Anderson, F.Z. Peng, Four quasi-Z-source inverters, in Power Electronics Specialists Conference, 2008. PESC 2008 (IEEE, 2008), pp. 2743–2749Google Scholar
- 13.Y. Li, J. Anderson, F.Z. Peng, D.C. Liu, Quasi-Z-source inverter for photovoltaic power generation systems, in IEEE Twenty-Fourth Annual Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition, APEC 2009, Washington DC, USA (2009), pp. 918–924Google Scholar
- 15.B. Ge, H. Abu-Rub, Y. Liu, R.S. Balog, Minimized quasi-Z source network for single-phase inverter, in Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), 2015 IEEE (IEEE, 2015), pp. 806–811Google Scholar
- 16.Y. Li, F.Z. Peng, J.G. Cintron-Rivera, S. Jiang, Controller design for quasi-Z-Source inverter in photovoltaic systems, in IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition, ECCE2010, Atlanta, USA, (2010), pp. 3187–3194Google Scholar
- 17.B.P. McGrath, D.G. Holmes, A comparison of multicarrier PWM strategies for cascaded and neutral point clamped multilevel inverters, in Proceedings of the IEEE PESC (2000), pp. 674–679Google Scholar
- 20.M. Shen, J. Wang, A. Joseph, F.Z. Peng, L.M. Tolbert, D.J. Adams, Maximum constant boost control of the Z-source inverter, in Industry Applications Conference, 2004. 39th IAS Annual Meeting. Conference Record of the 2004 IEEE, vol. 1 (IEEE, 2004)Google Scholar