Analysis and minimization of crosstalk noise in copper interconnects for high-speed VLSI circuits
- 20 Downloads
Due to the rapid advances of technologies, the scaling of parameters are decreasing. In VLSI (Very Large Scale Integration) technology, the feature size of integrated circuits (IC) has driving reduced in terms of power, speed, area and cost characteristics. The decreasing the sizes in sub-quarter microns, spacing between the components on-chip VLSI design and the signal switching time in terms of pico seconds or even less. As a result, the signal integrity (SI) issues are occurring at higher frequencies and high data rates. The evaluation of crosstalk noise between the coupled interconnect is one of the prominent issue in designing of high-speed ICs. In this paper, investigated the crosstalk noise of coupled copper (Cu) interconnect models with analytically at 32 nm technology nodes. Also, investigated the crosstalk reduction with shield insertion technique and increasing physical spacing between the coupled lines. For the low power VLSI applications, the shield insertion technique is preferable for reducing the crosstalk effects in coupled interconnects.
KeywordsCrosstalk noise High-speed integrated circuit Interconnect RLC interconnects Shield insertion Signal integrity
This research has been sponsored by YFRF, Visvesvaraya Ph.D. scheme (MeitY), GOI. The Research grants file number is PhD-MLA-4(63)/2015-16. Authors would like to thank the Principal, University College of Engineering, Osmania University for support.
- 1.Zhang XJ, Jiang W, Gao L, li H (2016) Impact of cross talk on signal integrity of high speed density ceramic package for IC. In: IEEE international conference on electronic packaging technologyGoogle Scholar
- 2.Paul CR (2006) Introduction to electromagnetic compatibility. Wiley, New York, 1992, (2nd ed)Google Scholar
- 3.Paul CR (2008) Analysis of multiconductor transmission lines. Wiley, Hoboken, 1994, (2nd ed)Google Scholar
- 9.Bogatin E Signal and power integrity-simplified, Second edition, Prentice Hall Modern Semiconductor Design SeriesGoogle Scholar
- 12.Hedari P, Abbaspour S, Pedram M Interconnect energy in high speed ULSI circuits. Dept of EE and CS, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697Google Scholar
- 15.Hall SH, Hall GW, McCall JA (2000) High-speed digital system design. Wiley, HobokenGoogle Scholar
- 19.Zhang J, Friedman EG (2004) Effect of shield insertion on reducing crosstalk noise between coupled interconnects. 2004 IEEE international symposium on circuits and systems (IEEE Cat. No.04CH37512), vol 2, pp II-529–32Google Scholar
- 20.Zhang J, Friedman EG (2004) Mutual inductance modeling for multiple RLC interconnects with application to shield insertion. IEEE International SOC Conference proceedingsGoogle Scholar
- 21.Ghoneima M, Ismail YI, Khellah MM, Tschanz JW, De V (2006) Formal derivation of optimal active shielding for. Comput Des 25(5):821–836Google Scholar
- 22.Kaul H, Sylvester D, Blaauw D (2002) Active shielding of RLC global interconnects, Proceedings of the 8th ACM/IEEE International Workshop on Timing Issues in the Specification and Synthesis of Digital Systems - TAUGoogle Scholar