Physiological and Biochemical Indicators of Growth Promoting Effect of Caliterpenone on Mentha arvensis
- 79 Downloads
Mentha arvensis is an herbaceous, edible plant with strong aromatic and medicinal property. An experiment was conducted to investigate the physiological and biochemical changes associated with possible growth promoting effect of caliterpenone on Mentha arvensis. After 45 days of 0.01 mM caliterpenone spray treatment fresh aerial leaves were used for assessment of various parameters. Significant increase was seen in chlorophyll content (P ≤ 0.05), total sugar content (P ≤ 0.05), soluble and bound protein content, moisture content (P ≤ 0.05), specific activity of invertase enzyme along with phenotypic growth features (P ≤ 0.01) after caliterpenone treatment. In light of the present findings study concludes that caliterpenone, a natural phyllocladane diterpenoid isolated from the leaves of Callicarpa macrophylla is a natural, efficient and economic plant growth promoter, which significantly promotes the plant growth without any additional chemical load on soil.
KeywordsInvertase Mentha arvensis Plant growth promoter Caliterpenone Callicarpa macrophylla
Authors are thankful to all the persons and research groups who contributed directly or indirectly to facilitate the present study.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors have no potential conflict of interest.
- 1.Bose SK, Yadav RK, Mishra S, Sangwan RS, Singh AK, Mishra B, Shrivastava AK, Sangwan NS (2013) Effect of gibberellic acid and calliterpenone on plant growth attributes, trichomes, essential oil biosynthesis and pathway gene expression in differential manner in Mentha arvensis L. Plant Physiol Biochem 66:150–158CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Soni RK, Dixit V, Irchhaiya R, Alok S (2014) Callicarpa macrophylla: a review update on its botany, ethnobotany, phytochemistry and pharmacology. Int J Pharmacogn 1:87–94Google Scholar
- 4.Prabu M, Shakila A (2013) Studies on organic nutrition in growth and yield of Japanese mint (Mentha arvensis L.). Asian J Hortic 8:126–128Google Scholar
- 5.Maji D, Barnawal D, Gupta A, King S, Singh AK, Kalra A (2013) A natural plant growth promoter calliterpenone from a plant Callicarpa macrophylla Vahl improves the plant growth promoting effects of plant growth promoting rhizobacteria (PGPRs). World J Microbiol Biotechnol 29:833–839CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Singh AK, Bagchi GD, Singh S, Dwivedi PD, Gupta AK, Khanuja SPS (2004) Use of phyllocladane diterpenoids for plant growth promotion and alleviation of growth retardant allelochemicals and method therefor. US Patent 6 673 749 GB 2411651 2005Google Scholar
- 8.Singh AK, Khanuja SPS, Tandon, S, Kalra A, Sahoo D, Kahol AP, Gupta, MM, Verma RK, Kukreja AK, Alam M, Bagachi GD, Bansal RP, Darokar MP, Gupta AK (2007) Process for the isolation of calliterpenone (16a, 17-dihydroxy-3-Oxo-phyllocladane); Patent: US 20070225168 A1. WO/2007/107811Google Scholar
- 10.Arnon DI (1949) Copper enzymes in isolated chloroplasts polyphenoxidase in Beta vulgaris. Plant Physiol 241:15Google Scholar
- 13.Lowry OH, Rosebrough NJ, Farr AL, Randall RJ (1951) Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent. J Biol Chem 193(1):265–275Google Scholar
- 17.Blum A (2011) Plant water relations, plant stress and plant production. In: Plant breeding for water-limited environments. Springer, New York, NY, pp 11–51. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4419-7491-4_2
- 19.Victor RP (2016) Essential oils in food preservation flavour and safety. Academic Press, Cambridge, p 564Google Scholar
- 23.Lemoine R, Camera SL, Atanassova R, Dedaldechamp F, Allario T, Pourtau N, Bonnemain JS, Laloi M, Thevenot PC, Maurousset L, Faucher M, Girousse C, Lemonier P, Parrolla J, Durand M (2013) Source-to-sink transport of sugar and regulation by environmental factors. Front Plant Sci 4:272CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Alexandra S, Tauzin AS, Giardina T (2014) Sucrose and invertases, a part of the plant defense response to the biotic stresses. Front Plant Sci 5:293Google Scholar
- 26.Haider F, Bagchi GD, Singh AK (2009) Effect of calliterpenone on growth, herb yield and oil quality of M arvensis. Int J Integr Biol 7:53–57Google Scholar
- 27.Goel MK, Kukreja AK, Singh AK, Khanuja SPS (2007) In vitro plant growth promoting activity of phyllocladane diterpenoids isolated from Callicarpa macrophylla Vahl. in shoot cultures of Rauwolf aserpentina. Nat Prod Commun 2:799–802Google Scholar