Epidemiology, management and outcome of varicella in pregnancy: a 20-year experience at the Tuscany Reference Centre for Infectious Diseases in Pregnancy
- 274 Downloads
Data from 215 pregnant women exposed to varicella and 276 with varicella observed at the Tuscany Reference Center for Infectious Diseases in Pregnancy, Florence, Italy, in the period 1997–2016 were retrospectively collected. The risk of developing varicella was lower in exposed women who received varicella zoster immunoglobulin compared with those who did not receive it [42% (21 of 50) vs 72% (13 of 18); p = 0.0263]. Typical congenital varicella syndrome was observed in 1.56% of fetuses/neonates born from pregnant women with varicella.
KeywordsVaricella Immunoglobulin Congenital Chickenpox Varicella zoster virus VZIG
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
On behalf of all authors, the corresponding author states that there is no conflict of interest.
- 3.Gershon A, Marin M, Seward J. Varicella. Measles and Mups. In: Wilson C, Nized V, Maldonado Y, Remington J, Klein J, editors. Remington and Klein’s infectious diseases of the fetus and newborn infant, 8th edn. Philadelphia: Elsevier Saunders; 2016. pp 675–723.Google Scholar
- 8.Booy R, Burgner D, Nissen M, Buttery J, Zurynski Y, Elliott E, et al. Congenital Varicella Syndrome, study protocol. Case definition and reporting instructions: Australian Paediatric Surveillance Unit; 2006. http://www.apsu.org.au/assets/current-studies/Congenital-Varicella-2005-protocol-sheet130810.pdf. Accessed 14 May 2018.
- 9.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). FDA approval of an extended period for administering VariZIG for postexposure prophylaxis of varicella. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2012;61(12):212.Google Scholar
- 10.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Updated recommendations for use of VariZIG–United States. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2013;62(28):574–6.Google Scholar
- 12.Italian Ministry of Health National Immnunization Prevention Plan 2017–2019. IPublished on the italian official gazette, February 18th 2017. http://www.gazzettaufficiale.it/eli/id/2017/02/18/17A01195/sg. Accessed 14 May 2018.