Synthesis of graphite/PbO2 anode: electrodeposition process modeling for improved landfill leachate treatment using RSM and ANN approach
- 3 Downloads
Based on the hypothesis that the electrodeposition conditions may have effects on the developed electrode’s oxidation performance, the present study aimed at investigating the effects of a graphite/PbO2 anode preparation conditions (current intensity, Pb(NO3)2 concentration, HNO3 concentration, and temperature) on leachate treatment efficiency. Synthesis conditions were varied to improve the performance of the electrode, and leachate treatment efficiencies were evaluated using anodes prepared at different conditions. The Box–Behnken design was used as an experimental design for achieving the goal. The effect of variables on the system’s outcome was modeled by response surface methodology and artificial neural network. The variation in chemical oxygen demand (COD) removal efficiency from 7.81 to 24.58% for 2 h of electrolysis demonstrates significant influences of anode preparation conditions on its performance. The optimum conditions were attained as 0.64 A of current intensity, 0.16 mol L−1 of Pb(NO3)2, 0.16 mol L−1 of HNO3, and 76.98 °C of temperature. The PbO2 electrode developed at optimum conditions yielded 79 ± 1.7% COD removal efficiency of leachate at 8 h. The study results show that electrode synthesis conditions affect the oxidation ability of the electrode, and optimization of the same can significantly improve the treatment performance.
KeywordsLead dioxide anode Response surface methodology Artificial neural network Electrochemical oxidation Characterization
The authors are very much thankful to Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, for providing infrastructural facilities for this study.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that there is no conflict of interest. Joint Committee on Powder Diffraction Standards (JCPDS) cards of International Centre for Diffraction Data (ICDD) database 2017 was used in the study.
- Anglada A, Urtiaga A, Ortiz I, Mantzavinos D, Diamadopoulos E (2010) Boron-doped diamond anodic treatment of landfill leachate: evaluation of operating variables and formation of oxidation. Water Res 5:828–838Google Scholar
- Bicelli LP, Bozzini B, Mele C, D’Urzo L (2008) A review of nanostructural aspects of metal electrodeposition. Int J Electrochem Sci 3:356–408Google Scholar
- Garson GD (1991) Interpreting neural-network connection weights. AI Expert 6:47–51Google Scholar
- Montgomery DC (2013) Design and analysis of experiments, 8th edn. Wiley, DelhiGoogle Scholar
- Saravanathamizhan R, Vardhan KH, Prakash DG (2015) RSM and ANN modeling for electro-oxidation of simulated wastewater using CSTER. Desalin Water Treat 3994:1–8Google Scholar
- Scherrer P (1918) Bestimmung der Grosse und der Inneren Struktur von Kolloidteilchen Mittels Rontgenstrahlen, Nachrichten von der Gesellschaft der Wissenschaften zu Gottingen. Math Phys Klasse 2:98–100Google Scholar